Dalek the Halls!

I finally got a chance to make another lightbox…just in time for the holidays! It’s 6 layers and all layers were cut on the GF out of 65 lb. cardstock. This time I was able to just cut the layers instead of “engrave” cutting them with almost no smoke staining. I have no idea why it worked so well this time but I am NOT complaining. 1.5 minutes to cut vs. 20+ to engrave.

I also cut my boxes on the GF out of 1/8 inch baltic birch.

This one was designed from scratch but if you are interested in making one, there are a lot of great templates for sale on Etsy.

74 Likes

My geek half is TOTALLY in love with this! <3

4 Likes

I have also converted these files to be our family holiday card this year.

25 Likes

WOW! It’s SO NICE! The scene really lends itself to appear even deeper than it is! The write-up is great!

Only half? That’s… a little sad! :wink:

5 Likes

This is fabulous! Less than two minutes to cut such a beautiful project. Thank you so much for sharing this - and your holiday card is one that will make your friends light up.

4 Likes

Less than 2 minutes per layer. But still pretty quick!

3 Likes

I love this way too much!!!

4 Likes

“Half” was figurative. :wink:

5 Likes

Fantastic! Love the star on the Dalek’s “head”!

3 Likes

Seems like the tree should be on fire. :grin:

3 Likes

Dang it - something else I really want to have a go at - where’s the time to do all these wonderful things???

Really cool I like your project,

4 Likes

Just amazing!!!

3 Likes

This Dalek is exclaiming “DECORATE! DECORATE!” instead of EXTERMINATE

15 Likes

Did you put together a tutorial on doing these? That is really wonderful and I’d love to know how to put something like this together! Is it simply laying the cardstock on top of each other? I see you used led strip lights too… I’d love some details!!

2 Likes

Are you looking for an assembly tutorial or a drafting tutorial?

Whovian goodness! Great job.

6 Likes

Thanks everyone!

That is so great! One of these days I’m going to try to make a shadow box - they are so cool!

1 Like

They are addictive! I am in a couple of Facebook groups of people that make these and most cut them by hand and buy pre-made frames. It’s so cool to be able to cut them with the GF and make custom frames.

2 Likes

Beautiful work!

2 Likes