Day 2 project: first attempt at an edge lit acrylic


#1

One of the projects I’ve been waiting to do with my forge was an edge lit acrylic of our “mascot” for my day job. A few years back when our development team was asked to provide feedback on our systems, we received an interesting comment back:

“The engineering tools and processes evolve but sometimes what comes out is a giant duck-billed platypus when you thought you needed a cheetah. Sure, you can ride that platypus, but it’s going to be hard to bring down a deer with it.”

We took the feedback in stride and wound up creating a “mascot” of sorts based on it, a ninja riding a platypus.

Our team also goes through an on-call rotation, so I figured that I would make my first edge-lit acrylic for the primary on-call engineer and use our mascot on it as well. We’ll have the piece glowing red when we have a major incident or green when everything is going well. Already showed it to the boss and he loves it! I’ll probably do another one with a different font for the top & bottom, something more consistent with the center art piece.


#2

Cool! :smile:


#3

Great design. :sunglasses:


#4

Nice! Love the use of color to designate the state of ‘Defcon’. :sunglasses:


#5

Heh heh—awesome use of the color capability of the lamp!


#6

The edge-lit acrylic does make for a very cool project … yours is great!


#7

This proves how the acrylic can be bigger than the light source and still glow nicely.


#8

rpratt, I was a bit worried about that as well but it turned out pretty good. Kind of curious exactly how wide out you can make it and still have it work. I might have to sacrifice a large acrylic sheet in the near future to find out!


#9

Clever idea. My fingers are crossed that it stays green!