Dealing with Edge Burns

Admittedly, even if they’re perfectly aligned, you’d probably still want to sand if you need a totally even surface with stacked layers. This is because on any cut, you’ll end up with a slight slant on all the edges of your pieces, due to the fact that the beam focal point is at one very specific distance from the lens, not across the entire thickness of your material. Basically, instead of getting straight side walls in your cutting line, you always get a slight “v” shape, with the pieces just a hair wider on the lower surface than they are on the upper. Normally, it’s such a slight slant you’ll barely notice, but if you glue laminate multiple layers side-by-side, you’ll end up with slight ridges at the bottom of every piece where the material flares out just a bit.

Unless you’re going for a textured grip. Then you’re golden.

5 Likes

I handcraft a lot of items and sometimes getting a surface “just perfect” becomes such a task, that it’s almost better (and more unique/interesting) to make it so far away from uniform that it obviously is not trying to be perfect. Some might call that being lazy, I call it artistic. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Well put – I also call it headache prevention :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, two options - Conceal or accentuate :+1:

3 Likes

I spent fifteen minutes looking for it this morning and couldn’t figure out which one it was. One of his more recent ones.

Really a good discussion of edge char. Some applicable to Glowforge, some not.

12 Likes

You want to go the fastest you can at the highest power possible to have clean edges. Speed will almost never be the limiting factor on your Glowforge, since cutting speeds are much slower than engraving speeds.

We’ll optimize Proofgrade presets to minimize char so you don’t have to worry about it there. For your own materials, you want the highest power/fastest you can go while reliably cutting through.

23 Likes

Will tips like that be finding their way into the manual?

2 Likes

I don’t remember seeing any Glowforged wood with clean edges. Is there an example anywhere?

No, the manual does not offer instructions on using non-Proofgrade settings.

1 Like

I find most Glowforge cuts on Proofgrade material to have clean edges, but clean is subjective and your opinion may differ.

4 Likes

Now when I read the topic title (and saw the Caps) I thought some Forum member named Edge Burns was causing problems… (How do we handle this guy?) :neutral_face:

7 Likes

BAHAHAHA Brilliant, that made me proper chuckle.

How did you guys discover my middle name???

5 Likes

Thanks for the detective work. The pintrest link is no more.

4 Likes

I was referring to general tips on laser use, but you probably have more important issues to deal with today.

In other news today, Ed Burns, most noted for his roles in The Brothers McMullen and Saving Private Ryan has gone into protective custody after finding numerous threats in his social media feed regarding “getting rubbed out”, “sanding him away” and “leaving dark marks” where ever he is found. Authorities are baffled by the mysterious aqua colored. stylized G that seems to be some type of cult icon that is found in most of the messages.

25 Likes

Dead, you win the interweb tonight.

4 Likes

Wow! This was amazing…I LOVE it!

3 Likes

Yeah, apparently I forgot to hit send after I saw this the first time…it’s still hilarious! :joy:

3 Likes