Debris in lens of new Plus

I received my replacement Plus and was setting it up last night when I noticed a piece of, what appears to be, black foam in the lens that is located to the far left. I’ve emailed support but I had trouble sending the photo so I’m not sure if it actually went through. I desperately need to get back up and running ASAP as I have orders that I need to fulfill! Should I proceed with a test print or is there a repair that needs to be made first?

1 Like

Looks like the gasket came loose and got smushed. You can probably unscrew that, straighten it out and screw it back in…it’s just a window.

Don’t get any fingerprints on it and don’t drop it.

3 Likes

So the entire metal, circular part unscrews?

1 Like

Yep, but be careful. It’s tough to reach it and if you drop it in there you will likely trot out every cuss word you know.

(Or you can wait for official word from support…might be safest.)

Oh, put a sheet of cardboard underneath it when you unscrew it.

2 Likes

Got it! I used a foam gripper thing that’s intended to make popping the lid of a difficult jar a bit easier and it worked like a charm. Thank you! :heart:

7 Likes

hmmm, that isn’t what I expected to come out of there. Interesting.

Based on your pictures I was expecting a round gasket.

1 Like

Did you send this to support? They might suggest something more to investigate.

1 Like

So sorry that you ran into trouble with your new unit. I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, did you receive my response? I’m glad to see that you were able to remove the piece of debris.

In case the email didn’t come through, would you please take pictures of the following and send them to me either here on the forum or via email?

Carefully unthread the laser window

Check to make sure that the black o ring is in place and take a picture

Take a picture of the threaded hole you removed the laser window from
​​

​​

Once we have the images requested above, our team will review them and advise on next steps.

Thank you!

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.