Deck Camera still not focused

Hi,
my previous post about this was closed because the problem was resolved, but I am still having the issue of the image of the bed being out of focus.

It does seem to be able to read the QR code, but the image is blurry. Previously (as in before this problem arose, a few weeks ago), the image might be blurry until the correct material height was entered. But that was never an issue with proofgrade material. Now, I get a very blurry image from the camera.

What can be done to fix this?

Are you having any trouble with alignment of your cuts/engraves, or is it just a blurry camera?

As you can see mine is blurry and exactly 1/4" off in both directions, but that is currently considered w/in spec and the GF seems to always read it correctly now…

Light cut in the Top Upper Left is the 2nd image.

1 Like

Most units are blurry at the corners. It’s subjective what is too blurry. If it reads the label then probably normal for now.

And as someone else noted, be sure to clean the camera lens/cover often–any of the dust/debris from cutting, as well as residue from wipes (or rather, liquid in wipes making soot a streaky mess) will affect the camera’s image. I usually use one side of the wipe to get the gunk off, and the other side (or another pending if I still have a clean part of the wipe) to remove the residue–like I do for the other optics, too.

1 Like

Update… now when I did a standard proofgrade cut on the proofgrade maple plywood, it didn’t go through all the way. Symptom seems worse on the left side of the bed.

That material has to be flat flat flat. One problem with the proofgrade slabs that goes away with smaller pieces is the ability to nail it down. You can pin a full slab but it is difficult and the pins//magnets just work better on smaller chunks.

If any doubt at all you can always click on the cut action and switch to manual. Then drop the speed about 5 points. (this will also cause more flash on the backside so it would need to be masked both sides).

Note that his also works on goofgrade materials. If in doubt when using your magic parameters, sliver a little speed.

2 Likes

It was a flat sheet. I’ve never had a problem cutting through proofgrade material using the proofgrade settings. My thought was that if there was a relationship between the deck camera image being blurry and the focus of the laser. maybe the machine thinks the height of the workpiece is at something other than what it actually is?

You could try cleaning the bottom of the laser head to see if that makes a difference. That’s where it is shooting the material height measurement beam from, and also where the height is being calculated (from a camera in the head)

It’s possible for the QR code to look blurry, but still be interpreted successfully by the app. I extracted the logs to investigate the problem you reported, and I can see the Proofgrade QR codes are being successfully detected.

Regarding the print that failed to cut through

Thanks for letting us know. I’m sorry that your print didn’t come out beautifully!

To cut successfully, there are three important things to check. First, your material must lie flat. This requires a clean, properly installed crumb tray and flat materials. Second, there must be no obstructions, dirt, or damage preventing the laser light from reaching your material. Third, your design must be set up properly - for example, with lines that are fully on the material and that are set to cut. It’s hard to know which issue might be affecting your print, but if you follow the instructions in the cut-through troubleshooter, we’ll be able to get to the bottom of it.

Once you’ve inspected and cleaned, please try another print. We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Please print the Gift of Good Measure on that Proofgrade Draftboard and let me know the result. If it doesn’t print well, please let me know the date and time of your print and send photos of the front and back of the print.

1 Like

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.