Deleted my own file ! - Recovery?

I have created a fairly simple inkscape file, used it in the forge, I have it loaded in my own files in the GFUI,
I then needed to work on a variation of the original file in my laptop.
I then saved my variation with the same name, thus losing the original svg file in my laptop.
However the original still loads from the GFUI correctly.
I’ve renamed my second file OK, but is there a way to regain my original svg file from the GFUI ?
I hope that makes sense !
John :upside_down_face:

It makes sense and many folk have asked, but the answer has always been no. However, inkscape has a means of autosave which might still be on your computer. I frequently find myself going there and renaming files so they stay and do not get overwritten.

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply.
When I search in Inkscape, I’ve found Autosave in Preferences/input/output, and it tells me that it saves to /tmp folder.
However, a quick search, including hidden files, doesn’t throw up a location.
Any ideas, as I’m running it in Ubuntu 14.04.
Regards

I’ve ran into this several times and have never been able to recover after closing everything.

Won’t help you today but I’ve learned to save with version names/numbers. Then I only delete older versions when I am absolutely sure I won’t want to go back to this.

2 Likes

At least I still have the original in the GFUI, and it’s not going to be a biggie re-drawing it in inky !
EDIT Thanks Vee (see below)

I created a special subdirectory called Autosave in my Laser cutter folder. that makes it a lot easier.

2 Likes

Thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately, there isn’t currently any way to download your originally uploaded SVG from the Glowforge app. However, I’m happy to pass the suggestion for this feature on to the team.

If you run into any other trouble, please start a new thread or email us at support@glowforge.com.