Delrin/Acetal

Hasn’t been a topic on this for quite a while. Hardly anything for a GF Basic…

I decided to give some 1/8" (3mm) Delrin a try. Set up a set of 1" squares and set them for different speeds and power levels. I started with the default settings for Black Medium Acrylic. Went to slower speeds first, then lower power with multiple passes. But of my first 8 samples, turns out, the Acrylic settings were the best. I went with that.

Power = Full
Speed = 150
Passes = 1

It’s possible I might get a slightly better cut if I went to lower power with multiple passes. Maybe get it just a little less “melty” at the corners. But the overall quality was just fine for my needs. I did a couple of parts with this setting and the results were completely satisfactory.

This is the first stuff I’ve lazed where I could see a blue flame from the point the laser was hitting. It would make a very audible popping sound as the flame got blown out and reestablished randomly every few seconds. Freaked me out a bit at first, but a minute’s careful observation led me to conclude it wasn’t a problem. I guess what cooks off when the laser hits it is a highly flammable gas. Lower power with multiple passes might fix this, too.

Parts already assembled and test flown. :slight_smile:

31 Likes

Oohhh, 3d printing, laser cutting, and a quad. Whats not to like here?

12 Likes

I love Delrin … But have yet to try it in the Glowforge. Looks like you were very successful.

1 Like

I could not have been more pleased, actually. At least without looking at it under a magnifier, Delrin appears to cut every bit as nicely as Acrylic. It’s not quite as stiff as Acrylic but it has a much, much higher yield strength. Acrylic shatters when I crash, Delrin just bends and springs back to shape…

Though I do have say, the Acrylic looks awesome. Especially if you shoot it with some paint before you peel off the masking…

13 Likes

Wow, hadn’t thought about the edges.

Cool application! Delrin is about as tough as a polymer gets. Quads are near and dear to my heart. Nice brushless motors on that.

I was worried it would be too soft/bendy. But it seems fine. The ducts really stiffen-up the top deck. The X-Frame underneath is a little flexible. I know the motors are moving around a bit because when I mash the throttle just right, I can get contact between the props and ducts. The arms are bending/deflecting. The problem is, Derlin is heavy so I don’t want to beef it up any more than I need to.

It actually flies surprisingly well for much longer than I expected, with a range of different pack sizes, and it’s heavy thanks to the Delrin, so it’s got to be fairly efficient. I must have gotten something right with the design of the ducts.

I have a whole bunch of micro quads I’ve made with the GF. 1/16" or 1/18" hobby ply works great. Acrylic looks awesome but is just too fragile…

1 Like

I have been looking for a solution on making a design/engrave more visible on acrylic. The paint is so simple, perfect. I am an artist and have many paints, but I was wondering what type paint you used and if it holds up on the acrylic? Ruth

Hi Ruth. I’ve been using Testor’s brand acrylic paint. This is paint marketed to scale plastic model kit hobbyists. Specifically designed to stick to plastic. Lots of different colors. Spray and brush versions for most colors, and they work good in an airbrush. I have found that I get better coverage if I prime the Acrylic first, and for that I use autobody primer.

Testor’s paint can be had at any local hobby shop, and autobody primer at any car parts store.

2 Likes

It’s not Darlin, but I’ve been using acrylic paints in different layers on clear Acrylic to create a custom look for my new game. Several techniques in this photo to create the final look.
It’s not the best but I like how it turned out.

5 Likes

Wow…that looks so cool. Do you have your own space ship? :grinning:

1 Like

LOL, kind of it a Space ship themed Escape Room I’m building. Interactive simulation / escape room.

4 Likes

Like the sound of that!

2 Likes