Delrin Leather Stamp

One of the reasons I wanted a laser was to be able to make my own embossing plates for leather. Today I made one!

This is .25" Delrin. Preferably I’d use .5" or thicker stock but this was free via the gift from Inventables.

Settings were 900 speed/ 100 power on my Pro. It came out pretty sweet! This was my fourth attempt after messing with power/speed settings.

Overall, the Claddagh is about 2" wide and it took 26 minutes. I think the next one I’ll mess with some gradients and do a 3D print.

178 Likes

I have delrin just waiting for my machine to do this.

Looks great!

10 Likes

Beautiful work!

7 Likes

Beautiful is right! :grinning:

8 Likes

Is there a reason you do this with delarin and not wood or acrylic?

5 Likes

Looks fantastic! Can’t wait to see what else you make!

8 Likes

Durability. Delrin is tough stuff.

8 Likes

Yes, durability mainly. I use a 12 ton press for stamping and the Delrin holds up nicely.

13 Likes

Wow! Very clean work. Beautiful!:sunglasses:

4 Likes

This is so amazing!! So clean and clear. I’ve been waiting to see if this was feasible and now I have so many leather stamp ideas to try. @Andy_Mock, I have little experience with leather, is it feasible to get good results with stamps without a press? Are there household tools that can apply enough force for a good result?

5 Likes

This looks amazing! Love it!

3 Likes

Wow - impressive! So many possibilities… I think my brain is paralyzed!

4 Likes

This topic has a lot of ideas for tools that can be used to press.

8 Likes

Well that came out fantastic!

2 Likes

That is exceptional!

2 Likes

Whoa. That’s amazingly beautiful. Nice work!

2 Likes

This is fantastic! Did you put anything into the lines of the art, or is the color difference just from pressing it? It turned out very clean!

2 Likes

Awesome! I was just thinking of this during my commute! I have to learn how to do stitching, though. I have no press, either, so my redneck brain is just saying “drive over it with your SUV.” :smiley:

9 Likes

a 12ton benchtop press can be had at Harbor Freight fairly cheap. They put them on sale pretty often too, or use their 20% off coupon. (Can you tell I had been watching?)

7 Likes

You definitely weren’t the only one thinking this :rofl:

@Andy_Mock great work my friend. It’s people like you that make me want to jump into the leather field!

7 Likes