Deluxe Carcassonne Tiles

Carcassonne is a board game where players lay tiles to make cities, roads and fields to score points. It’s a great game and my family plays it often.

I love the iconography of the old walled cities. It reminds me of some old Dungeon and Dragon maps. So I decided to combine those old style maps with the game of Carcassonne and made some deluxe tiles for the game.

I made them by cutting pieces of veneer from two contrasting woods and then glueing them onto blank bases. By using the offcuts of one, I was able to make 2 different sets.

I also made the “River” and the “Cathedrals and Inns” expansion tiles. So in all, I have 102 tiles.

They are great for playing a game. Although I find myself just playing with the tiles by myself in between games, trying to create the largest castles that I can.

I put the designs (base, 2 extensions and a box) on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/LevelInfinity?section_id=24541768
I also made a build video on YouTube: https://youtu.be/HARaURsnGa4

I made the designs so you could either cut and glue veneer, like I did, or just engrave proofgrade tiles.

Here is the difference:

56 Likes

I really like the look of the veneers that you choose. Beautiful job. :blush:

5 Likes

That looks awesome! Both in design and as a game!

3 Likes

Great work @polarbrainfreeze, I love carcassonne

4 Likes

This is so detailed and intricate. It looks awesome!!

4 Likes

Beautiful.

2 Likes

Really nice work man. Satisfying to pull an idea from an activity that your family enjoys.

Just curious, did you have to endure any doubts from your friends/family regarding the wait for your laser? Who gets the last laugh?

6 Likes

That is incredibly cool!

3 Likes

Those look so great. I love seeing board game stuff here. I would have expected to see more than I can find here.

Thanks for posting!

3 Likes

This is such a beautiful game, it could be mistaken for artwork.

5 Likes

I love it when boardgames and :glowforge: collide!!

Beautiful work! I have never played Carcassonne, but I have looked at getting it before. You clearly would recommend it!

Is it a game that can be played in under an hour?

5 Likes

Yes, games at my house take about 15-30 minutes (we play fairly quickly). We play either 2-4 players depending who is available. My 16 year old and I play about once a day.

5 Likes
Sorry Slightly off topic:

@bill.m.davis
you should check out boardgamearena. Its a great place to try out and learn some games before you buy them.

Carcassonne is a premium game but you can still play online if a premium member starts the game or you can pay the $4 month to try it out.

Note: if an account is created from the link above, I get points for it. Just FYI, it does not matter if you do that or go directly to board game arena.

4 Likes

Hey @PrintToLaser,

I did endure a lot of doubts from my family and friends that I would ever get my GlowForge (I was one of the first buyers). After a while, I started having doubts myself.

But I definitely have the last laugh on that one. I use my Glowforge at least a few times a week, and I really like the stuff I’ve created with it. It has also paid for itself by now.

9 Likes

We all like the stuff you have created!

4 Likes

Beautiful! That game will be in the. Family for years to come!

3 Likes

Fantastic!

Thank you for posting the comparison of engraved and veneer being used. Nice to get two for one.

5 Likes

Lovely! I can’t imagine how long it took you to design and assemble all the parts, but the time and effort was well worth it.

3 Likes

As always…top of the line work!

2 Likes

This is great work - and now I have a board game I need to try with the family!

3 Likes