Design & Build a Truncated Icosidodecahedron!

I’ve been asked to share my files for creating complex polyhedrals, and also asked many times how I’ve done it. So, I created a tutorial on my method for creating these by making a Truncated Icosidodecahedron, and documenting the steps in Fusion 360 and Adobe Illustrator.

Time Lapse of the build

Slow rotation

Here is a link to the Tutorial:

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner! This tutorial won First prize on Instructables with the Made with Math Contest! I get a Silhouette Cameo to play with.

34 Likes

WOW! What an amazing tutorial! Can’t wait to have some time to work through it! Thank you so very much!

5 Likes

Nice share - super instructional. This is a pretty amazing community where someone will make the effort to do something like this with all the time and attention to detail needed to do a multimedia instructional for a complex project like this one.

6 Likes

Very generous of you to do this! Thank you!

2 Likes

nice. excellent instructional.

2 Likes

Thank you. I don’t have a 3d printer and I will probably never try to build anything this complex, but I am very appreciative of the knowledge and experience you share. I am lucky to be included in this community full of such wonderful artists, scientists, mathematicians and all round interesting people.

3 Likes

There are some great cheap options out there. It isn’t too late. They really are handy!

2 Likes

If the mars ever goes on sale again I’ll probably go for it.

3 Likes

Thanks for all your work.

2 Likes

Amazing!

2 Likes

Their “Pro” model is supposed to be out any minute at the same price point. So, the old stock will likely get cheaper again before they disappear.

2 Likes

I just read something that said february, but it’s sketchy.

1 Like

* For some values of “any minute.”

1 Like