Designing things I always wanted...my Heddle Loom #homemade

The beauty of this design is that you can easily make multiple heddles and keep them strung with different patterns.

5 Likes

You continue to amaze! This could be a very popular item in your shop.

3 Likes

Building tools with tools, the best!

6 Likes

That is a cool idea! I bet someone much smarter than I on here could figure out how to do that. I would love to see it!

LOL. I not only wanted one, wanted to see what it would take to design one.

1 Like

Exactly. I have 2 others in design phase right now.

So I have been told on FB. LOL

And thank you for saying that!

1 Like

Exactly! It’s my passion.

Every thread is a Heddle and Arduino sets the pattern. A Jacquard Loom come full circle. :grin:

4 Likes

I spent most of my childhood in a small farming village in Japan. Several of the neighbors had silkworm farms, and the women had looms they used to create beautiful kimono silk. These looms took up entire rooms in their houses; they were huge – at least to my childish eyes! (I found, when revisiting the village as an adult one time, that the immense circle driveway I had played in was actually an unimpressive little place!)

The houses were always open wide on the south side during the daytime, so we village kids wandered in and out at will. It was hypnotic, watching the looms working, all those perfectly arranged strings going up and down, the operators’ hands deftly manipulating bits I don’t know the names of, and seeing the pattern slowly emerge.

Ahhhh, happy childhood memories!

12 Likes

Super cool, I love laser made machines.

3 Likes

Interesting. I also thought of doing one with “foot” heddle controls so you raise and lower from the bottom. That will be a future improvement. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you. I love them too. The more intricate the more I want to design them. LOL

2 Likes

I’m working a mini strandbeast atm :slight_smile: Not very complex yet but a learning experience none the less

4 Likes

That does sound like it was an amazing time. I would always see things on TV when younger and always wanted to try weaving. Now I find that I want to make the things I always wanted to try. I already know how to knit, crochet…etc. But I really like the automated things too.

3 Likes

OMG I can’t wait to see it!!!

One of the things the man selling the computer loom talked about was the limit on the width of the fabric as there was no way to mechanically move the shuttle that you could hold on to it, so there was a powerful launcher at each end to get it to the other end and if anything interfered as happened often enough someone had to reach through and fish it out. I worked out a shuttle driver using magnets that could run underneath as the shuttle rolled over the threads with big foam wheels. I never was able to get from there however, and eventually dropped the fabric for ceramics.

3 Likes

That is an interesting idea! Now I am going to spend all day trying to figure that out. Thanks for that! LOL

2 Likes

If I remember correctly, this book talks about them and how to make them.
I have one of the shuttles. It is pointy and heavy and I would not like it shot at me! :slight_smile:
Professional handweaving on the fly-shuttle loom
by Laya Brostoff

4 Likes

I will have to look into it!

1 Like