Desktop USB/120 Charging Station

My dad is a retired US Army Chemical Corp Colonel. I made him a desktop charging station themed to his time in the military as a Christmas present this year.

Front:

It has two 120 outlets, two USB ports, and a cable storage tray on the top. It uses a Pass & Seymour “old work” S1-18-W box and dual USB outlet. (brown so they looked like old bakelite fixtures) The good thing about the old work box is, you use two screws on the front of the box to clamp the box against the front wall of the charging station…so it doesn’t add any stress to the sides/back.

To keep with the vintage look, I used reproduction cloth covered loop wire from Sundial Wire. I also added a rubber grommet to the hole where the cord exits the case…so it won’t rub the wire jacket.

I designed the box in Adobe Illustrator CS5.5, I used the Instructables Joinery app for the finger joints, and cleaned up the artwork in Adobe Photoshop CS5.5.

The front insignia is the Colonel rank, the insignia on the top of each side is for the Chemical Corps branch, and the insignia on the lower sides are the units he was in during Vietnam (First Logistical Command) & the First Gulf War (3rd Army).

I cut it out from Proofgrade Cherry Plywood.

Back:

Pieces:

Test cut with draftboard:

39 Likes

I bet this was a big hit! Nice work.

2 Likes

Thanks, it definitely was. It took him completely by surprise.

1 Like

I love that you used the cherry plywood (the cherry is my favorite!). Everything from the insignia, to the designs, to the wire look great!

2 Likes

Great work. This is another great functional build. The creativity of the members here is so awesome!

4 Likes

Excellent design! :grinning:

3 Likes

Looks fantastic, very nice gift.

2 Likes

Amazing job! You manage to make it look like an antique.

4 Likes

Excellent … Start to finish! I imagine it was a major surprise! Really nice work!