Día de Muertos (Day of the Dead) Information and backstory of two catalog designs

Posting in honor of an amazing little girl.

A couple of years ago, I first created an earlier (colorful, painted) version of these sugar skull earrings in the catalog

When my friend saw them, she asked me create a larger version for her home, which resulted in the Día de Muertos decor that is in the catalog.

It was designed to be painted however desired (such as with paint markers), and with or without kids helping.

I grew up in a community rich in Mexican culture, but I did not know much about Day of the Dead, I didn’t know of anyone who celebrated it before I met her. Sadly, she lost her daughter to cancer a few years ago, an amazing little girl that was in the hospital a few rooms down from my daughter. So, I felt honored to make this for her. She always encourages me to share the designs I’ve created for her, so I thought it might be interesting to share the details here, in case you are like me and find it helpful.

Day of the Dead celebration does not only last two days. According to a resource shared by my friend, the tradition begins in this order:

I hadn’t known all of the details before seeing this, so I wanted to share.

22 Likes

A friend of mine at work, complains that people treat it like mexican halloween.

Thank you for spreading some education.

7 Likes

My pleasure. I try to create designs for such items responsibly and appropriately - but it can be tricky. I would not want to support cultural appropriation or anything like that at all. So the least I can do is share information!

5 Likes

Happy Mikiztli!

1 Like

A friend shared this on TikTok
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTR9K8pb3/

1 Like

That is great. I didn’t know any of this.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.