Diamond Miniatures

The really thin CA glue is quite useful for stiffening up things like paper/board. It soaks in perfectly.

1 Like

Ohmygosh, your work is amazing, and very inspirational!

:open_mouth:

Welcome, great look to these.

You are testing my credulity on the 1:12 scale.
These are certainly full scale items.

Just kidding. This is fantastic work!

1 Like

As an experiment you might pick up a bottle of Minwax wood hardener from your local hardware store. Itā€™s for soaking into wood that is rotten and it hardens like steel. I donā€™t know what it actually is but it acts and hardens up like it was some kind of slow setting thin super glue. It should thin similarly to the sanding primer and might be even stronger. I have no idea yet if thats so and what youā€™re doing looks to be working fantastically but experimentation is always a good thing :slight_smile:

Those are truly beautiful pieces!

1 Like

MWH is acrylic suspended in acetone, which gets drawn into the wood pores.

When the solvent evaporates, you now have a plastic-hardened composite.

3 Likes

Thank you for the info! Unfortunately it seems itā€™s not available here (Cape Town) but I will be in the US in June and it will be on my shopping list.

Please donā€™t try to smuggle highly flammable liquid with explosive vapor onto a commercial aircraft.

The reason I shared the ā€œingredientsā€ is because itā€™s simple to make for yourself.

4 Likes

10 Likes

Iā€™ve been away for quite a bit and I come back to see FABULOUS! Amazing work!

You might want to look for penetrating epoxy for your hardening. Similar to the Minwax product but searching at home for something similar will get results I suspect. To help - penetrating epoxy is just a very thin mixture that readily soaks into wood and fills the air voids in the cells. We use it when doing a rotten wood repair and you want to stabilize the semi-good wood once you have scraped the really rotten stuff away. It soaks in, hardens, and then creates a barrier so that water can not travel back up the capillary highway. Looking for products to cure wood rot might work for you.

Canā€™t wait to see more of your work!

WOWOW! Did you make the cake too or are you collaborating with someone else? Either way, just wow. So graceful and delicate, yet itā€™s holding up the weight on it (and part of the illusion is how heavy that cake is, but Iā€™m betting in reality it barely registers on a scale :stuck_out_tongue: )

Yes - I did make the cake but in a class with an expert teacher. Fimo clay is not really my area of expertise. It is relatively heavy, I guess, but the little table is quite sturdy though I am careful to centre the cake on it.

1 Like

Incredible work!! I particularly like the worn edge of the table.

OMG I absolutely love it! I want to do that!!! Itā€™s really brilliant.

Incredible detail and so cute, very well done!

This is phenomenal work!! Everything you make is gorgeous!!

I wonder if this could be done with very thin plywood? @rbtdanforth has been experimenting with it lately, maybe he has some thoughts?

Youā€™re getting great results, though. Iā€™m just wondering if thereā€™s a way to skip some steps and still get a strong result.

2 Likes

1/32 plywood is about like a playing card, The 3 layers keep it from splitting as thin oak or mahogany will along the grain but bends as easy as the playing card so little strength in that way.

or

5 Likes

wow - that is awesome. So creative