Did scoring settings for proofgrade basswood plywood change?

I’ve used the default “Score” setting on proofgrade basswood plywood for over a year without issue, but I’ve noticed the last few cuts I’ve done, it seems the power is really low. Did the defaults change recently?

Engraving and cutting works fine and I regularly clean all the various lenses/sensors between every cut.

I’m certainly okay with increasing power, but trying to figure out why it has recently (as in, the past few weeks) changed.

What are your score settings? Is this draft or high quality score?

Draft and 300 speed, 30 power (which is what it defaults to for proofgrade basswood plywood).

Here is what I get - is this not what your results look like or what you experienced in the past?

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having unexpected results when using the draft score setting. Would you be able to share a photo of one of your recent prints along with the day and time it was run? We’ll be happy to extract the logs from your print and take a closer look.

These are the same print files but done at different times.

Left: Done I think on Monday? It’s my most recent print, whatever day/time that was. It shows the score line is very light.
Right: Done over a month ago and shows a dark/solid score line.

1 Like

Off topic but are you an Elon alum or have someone attending? My daughter graduates from there next month.

It’s an Elon Musk tweet. :slight_smile:

That was my other guess but I didn’t recall him saying anything noteworthy recently :smiley:

Any update on this?

Thank you so much for sending over those images! Does the same behavior occur if you utilizing Set Focus during the print?

Also, I would like to check over just a few more things. Could you do the following for me?

Please send photos of all your cleaned optical components, with special attention to any damage you might find:

• Both windows
    • The printer head window, on the left hand side of the printer head
    • The laser window on the inside left of the Glowforge
  • The printer head lens
    • Both sides of the lens, top and bottom
  • The mirror inside the printer head
  • The bottom of the printer head

Once we have those pictures, we’ll follow up with next steps.

Could this be it?

1 Like

Oooo, the timing of that would line up with when things started messing up for me. Does that imply the default was “HD” for scoring? I never selected draft or HD to begin with.

Did a quick test and @jbmanning5 was spot on. That “improved score settings” update earlier this month was the problem.

Score defaults to “Draft” which doesn’t do what I want. The “HD” settings, however, do the trick. Problem: solved.

2 Likes

Thank you for updating us! I’m sorry to hear that the default score settings for this material type do not allow you to obtain the results you prefer, but I’m glad to hear that the HD settings are correct.

I’ll close this thread for now, but please don’t hesitate to reach out to us directly at support@glowforge.com if you run into any more trouble. We’re here to help!