Didn't cut through!

An entire sheet of Thick Black Acrylic… in the trash.
~17:45 EDT

I can UL a pic if you’d like, but I already see what happened… Apparently, it never bothered to read the QR code when I stuck it in, and used the :proofgrade: settings from the Medium Red Acrylic I’d used earlier. It’s not that it said “Unknown Material” or something… It clearly didn’t attempt to read it.

Right this moment, I’m very angry. I spent the better part of the day working on this design, testing kerf for inlays… And I was so happy while it was cutting. And then I lifted the sheet and saw what happened. And now I don’t have time to cut another sheet. Maybe Monday.

I’m asking for two things:

1. Please credit me a sheet of Thick Black Acrylic
  2. Please identify and correct the cause where it didn’t attempt to read the QR code when I changed materials. I was going back and forth all day and, of course, it seems it failed only when I was in production mode rather than testing.

Thanks

EDIT: I was thinking about it. It actually failed to attempt to read the QR code twice. About 15 minutes prior to the scoring/cutting job I was talking about above. I’d put the Thick Black Acrylic in and did an engrave job, took that acrylic out to see something, then put it back in to do the score/cut job. So, yeah, it didn’t attempt to read the QR code twice, it seems.

Hurts to see a sheet of good material toasted but like all cnc but you need to develop a workflow that minimizes the chance for this to happen.
Yes, the :glowforge: screwed up, but you had two chances to catch it and fix it.
First, always cross check settings before pressing cut, second, lift a corner of the material while holding down the portion that was to be cut out. This way even if you didn’t catch the problem on cross check, you can always recut.

6 Likes

Measure twice, cut once - may be inferring more than just measure twice.

Do you double check everything before you print or just hit print?

2 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear you ran into trouble.

Thanks for letting us know about this. I’ve passed along your feedback so we can continue to strive toward a consistent Proofgrade experience. If you have any other questions or feedback, please let us know by opening a new topic or reaching out to support@glowforge.com.