Directional signpost đźš©

My brother-in-law is awesome and is celebrating a big birthday and anniversary, so we worked on a signpost to commemorate places they have lived.

When I sat down with this my requirement was that it could be mostly pre-assembled and fit into a usps box…

So I designed a little puzzle piece joint post with a square cap, so it will only take 3 screws to assemble when it arrives.

The whole project is 1/4 in baltic birch, which doesn’t cut through in areas but better than cutting by hand!

The “driftwood” signs were pre spray painted boards, then masked, because painting after didn’t look as good…

The shapes of the signs were drawn by the kids, traced, and became all of the driftwood pieces.

My wife worked on the locations and arrows from their home.

I glazed it at the end with

which I have never used before, but if it yellows maybe it will look even cooler.

gps would be cool too. :slight_smile:

Thanks for reading!

43 Likes

Love it! I’ve had plans for one of these since day one. Still waiting to get into our new home. Love the different shapes you have, even better that your children drew them.

2 Likes

What a great project!

2 Likes

Fantastic team effort and more great design! So cool!

2 Likes

While my aunt was here, we went to the Polynesian Cultural Center. Saw one of these signs, which is like the fifth one I’ve seen since I’ve owned my laser, and the thought crossed my mind again that I could make one. Pretty cool that you were able to get it into a box like that!

5 Likes

Fabulous gift, and I love the collaborative aspect.

2 Likes

Very cool idea. Bookmarking it for inspiration!

2 Likes

what an awesome gift!

1 Like

Thank you so much @cynd11 @Yogi_Bear @arh2 @awebs76 @Pearl @valleygrrl and @raymondking32 it was such a fun puzzle/ project!!!

2 Likes

Great project, that top sign makes me want to go cut some cedar right now hehe. Happy bday

3 Likes

Thank you!!! We put a heart at the very top at the last minute. It said “happily ever after” with arrows pointing everywhere “0 miles.”

I didn’t get a final picture

2 Likes

Very well done. Like your solution to flat pack it.

2 Likes

Mahalo!

Very fun! Nice work!

2 Likes

That is such a thoughtful gift!

2 Likes

What a great gift! That is surely one he will treasure for many years! Tell him your “GF” friends say happy birthday!

2 Likes

Love it! Such a fun gift!

2 Likes

I love the story you shared and the awesome sign!!!

1 Like