Discussion of Ear Savers: 800,000 Ears In

I did one set for a healthcare org up there (via a referral from someone in the UK) but it took 3 weeks for the 10 hour drive from my house. It just sat for a week at a clip waiting to clear customs outbound and then inbound to Canada. I felt really bad for them.

I’m doing unmatched runs for local nursing homes. Almost 60% of the deaths in CT have been nursing home residents. One leads to another though as someone on staff tells their neighbors or friends.

2 Likes

I keep getting requests through IG from people that say they never received a match from Glowforge, so I have offered to print some for them. I’m using acrylic scraps for now until I can buy more.

2 Likes

Oh boy, I feel so bad for the Amazon delivery guy today. No one has taken any of mine yet, but this guy today stood there for two or three minutes trying to get one off the hanger board. And then my dog noticed him and went all Cujo on the other side of the door so he left. I was on a conference call at the time, so I couldn’t go help him, but later I checked and they were all still there. So I tried to get one off, and dang it IS hard. It doesn’t help that it has been raining since Monday, and even though my door is under a covered porch, I guess the draftboard has swollen up enough to make them really hard to get off. Whoops :frowning:

I’ll have to ponder this to see if I can come up with something else (although the majority of my delivery folks just drop the boxes and run, probably never even notice what’s on the door).

4 Likes

I got matched to some folks in California but did not get an address and emails trying to reach them have not been answered.
I have given out many to personal connections and am waiting for more plastic to make more,

Dropped off another batch today.

4 Likes

Okay, here’s what I came up with. I made this box hanger thing to hang on the existing sign, like this:

Here’s the design in case anyone can use it.

earsaverbox

8 Likes

3,000 more heading to LA tomorrow morning. 2 medium flat rate USPS Priority Mail boxes.

I’m heading to NC to bring daughter back from college (& will no doubt be heading back in a month to move her into a new apartment for a job in Raleigh but they haven’t committed yet and she’s graduating Friday so we’ll haul a trailer full of apartment to CT and then haul it back to NC :slight_smile: ).

When I get back this weekend I’ve got 1500 more to do - these needed custom engraving so the other 7500 took priority.

I did get a nice note from the transplant unit at the hospital here thanking me for making and donating them. It was nice to know they’re being used.

3 Likes

Great addition, thanks!

2 Likes

Anyone else have issues with the maker form?
I tired to fill it out twice yesterday afternoon (5/21) and it gave me an error message upon submitting both times. Just said “something went wrong”. I’m not sure where the wrong thing happened.
Did I just submit double and it’s in the system? Did nothing go through?

UPDATE: It seems that they both went through. Just got matched.

The team’s done performed heroics to build this matching system in a week, and improve it in the time after. Unfortunately there’s only so many of us, so every minute the software team spends on it is at the expense of improving other areas - so we know it has some rough edges but the team’s done their very best to make it work for as many of you as possible.

If you spot any problems, you can email support@glowforge.com to let us know.

4 Likes

We got a name and email but several efforts to contact by email have received no response.
Edit: we never got an address so will move on.

I would prefer to have them go to the Tampa area even though we could not hand deliver them, We have been handing them out to those we have contacted personally,

I’m only getting about 60% hits on emails. Not sure why they don’t respond. But the USPS is confirming delivery so that’s all I’m focused on. Somewhat irritating but c’est la vie. I don’t check first - just let them know when the earsavers are on the way and give them the tracking numbers. Not sure if I’d cut them if I got no response on the front-end of things.

I do like the other ones where I get really nice responses and info on who & how they’re using them. Makes it a bit more person-to-person human. It does seem either to be no communication or very grateful ones. Nothing in between :slight_smile:

1 Like

I intended to use this, but first contacted my local fire station, which actually routed directly to the office of the county fire marshal, who put me in direct contact with the head of the PPE coordination team (our county has ~750,000 residents). So two brief phone calls and I had a direct outlet for all I can produce.

The intent here is awesome, but for those looking to stay local, try your local first responder services.

4 Likes

i actually did do that. at first, they said they weren’t allowed to accept homemade PPEs. but then realized they weren’t actually PPEs and took a handful. but i was surprised they weren’t more interested. maybe it was just because it was so early on.

that said, i just put my name in for 300 with GF for the first time (after having made 8-9k of them). my office is still supplied fine for giving out to our local hospital clients for now. and i haven’t heard back from our other offices yet (just asked thursday night, before a holiday weekend, so not surprised i don’t have an answer yet). so i’ll make the rest of what i have for GF folks for now.

but i had a built-in connection to multiple local hospitals through work (since we’re actively designing 4 now and have designed 3-4 others locally).

2 Likes

I guess they each make their own rules.

I had intended to reach out to the adjacent county but mine (Cobb, GA) still wants all I can provide. The fire and police don’t even need them.

interestingly, about 50% of what i shipped out of town was for friends who are police in other parts of the country (and one in vancouver) who wanted them. but this was late march.

Ours all have “around the head” straps on their masks.

Looks like I’m done at 10,731 earsavers. My 'forge is toes up in the sand :frowning: I’ve been getting flaky errors in the middle of jobs over the past couple of weeks. They got worse to the point where I can no longer restart and have it work even after multiple restarts. Support thinks it’s the white cable. I’d replace it myself (after pulling off the left glass) but I don’t think they’re letting that be a user-replaceable part although I’d argue that’s easier than the black lid cable since it’s just a matter of routing the cable under the clips it’s got and then plugging in the ends. I guess the need to remove the glass is what they’re worried about.

I had one more recipient in my latest list of earsaver requests. I’ll have to let them know they need to be re-matched. It’s only a 1000 but they wanted them custom engraved too. I’m really bummed as they’re somewhat local and it’s a Children’s hospital I’m familiar with over the border in Massachusetts.

If anyone needs acrylic, I’ve got a lot of it available. Probably close to 100 sheets. It’s 1/16" from BF Plastics, some (20 or 25 sheets) 1/8" cast acrylic and some .177" cast. The latter is 30 3ft x 4ft sheets that I’d have to break down to GF size before shipping.

With machine repair turnaround times & costs, I’m likely down for the count. I’d fire up the Redsail but after 3 years of not using it, I donated it (to a now locked down Makerspace) last December.

At least I have my plasma CNC working :smiley:

Oh well, it’s been great, thanks for the fish!

7 Likes

So you are making them in stainless now? :smiling_imp:

I liked this, but I don’t like it. :anguished: