Discussion of (early!) July update

Just going by

I can’t think you’d get “fields of depth” in those though. Again, I am totally new to all of this. So I’m workin’ by imagination only here. :slight_smile:

Well in full admission, so am I. There’s going to be lots of “Huh, that didn’t work the way I thought it would,” on the part of most people, I think. Heh.

1 Like

happens to me with literally every new tool i buy

2 Likes

OH, yes… There are some things you can intuit, some things that make sense after the fact, and other things where ya go “Well will ya look at that!”

2 Likes

Doesn’t grey scale engraving already use 256 power levels? You are only limited to 100 levels when manually specifying power. It seems to me like the only times you would want more than 100 power levels would be for operations that would usually be run as a grey scale or 3D engrave anyway.

Even when manually choosing a power level between 1 and 100, you still have access to far more than 100 effective power levels by modulating power and speed. For example 50/100 is going to deliver more effective power than 50/101, but less than 51/100.

2 Likes

There are a host of links in the chain: power delivered to the tube, power extracted from the tube, power delivered to the material, effect on the material. None of those transfer functions are linear, so the result isn’t linear either.

There are some possibilities, but we haven’t investigated much.

4 Likes

I have been saving up cereal boxes to do my proof cuts on!

4 Likes

That’s a great source for free chipboard. (I do it as well.) :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Cases of Fancy Feast cat food have thick cardboard sheets separating the layers of cans. I’ve been saving them for a year or so…

6 Likes

My Garage is FULL of unbroken down cardboard boxes. Just waiting for my GF to arrive so I can finally use them!

3 Likes

My best guess is that you said “I have a question”, followed by five (actually six) questions. There’s certainly nothing wrong with that, especially in an asynchronous medium, but I guess your specific phrasing tickled @rpegg’s funny bone.

1 Like

Burn them all!

Eventually!

3 Likes

Any idea when we get to see the design catalog?!!

1 Like

I am wondering if they are going to allow a critical mass of production units out before debuting the design catalog. I’ve thought that they might not want to tip their hands too early with their designs so they don’t get ripped off too fast.

3 Likes

And by the way, welcome to your first post in the forum @littlefishplace!

9 Likes

Thank you! I love the forum…it gives me an opportunity to learn things from others before I have this thing in hand. Every article helps :slight_smile:

8 Likes

just to warn you these people are great and if you start adding your own knowledge you might find it addicting.

3 Likes

Chuckle! We all want to see it, but I think it’s last priority after they get the machines out…

Welcome to the forum! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I’m seriously enjoying it so much already! As people receive their machines, it’s interesting to read about their experiences and trials. I’m like a sponge right now, taking in all that I can and learning as much as possible, so when I open that box, I’m not so overwhelmed that I get discouraged. I’ve never owned anything like this, so I’m a complete rookie!

12 Likes

I figured, I’m just SO incredibly curious as to what is in there?!?! haha

4 Likes