Discussion of (early!) July update

Killer update! I hope long term there will be some user calibration option for tube replacement (no worries, not going on a rant today), but can understand if that is a while out… :smile:

I would but not entirely sure from the update that the Pre-Release units have the same schedule as the Production units. Luckily my anticipation gene only goes to 7 on a 1-10 scale. At least compared to what I’ve observed from my brothers on Christmas morning.

2 Likes

I’m leaning toward the GFUI is going to everyone and PRUs have to hoof it from now on. Which is no biggie. I manually enter almost everything anyway. Just wish they would get that enter key working to exit the operation popup and tab to the next one. Hate clicking!

4 Likes

My interpretation also but this forum is full of folks that read into posts what they want and not gonna be that guy. Probably why I am rarely disappointed.

6 Likes

The calibration table runs about $25,000. I guess we could put it in the shop.

12 Likes

Ouch :slight_smile:

DAN! WHAT?! Precision power that lets me engrave fine papers is one of my big dreams for the Forge, and I was resigned to not getting it. Major thanks to the team for making it happen.

37 Likes

Darn – 20# paper is not one of the materials I’ve been hoarding for two years. :grin:

Guess I’ll be raising the supply cabinet at work. :innocent:

Seriously, this is all wonderful news! I’m now even more anxious to get my ForeverForge™…

12 Likes

Woohoo! Let the Yaysayers rejoice and the Naysayers see the light :grinning:

Absolutely love to see this. And really ticked because I’m sitting in VA on a business trip far away from my PRU :slight_smile:

I could hug you for Draftboard. Amazon will put you on their hit list though :grinning:

4 Likes

So if you arent able to send your unit in for tube replacement, does that mean the power settings no longer function?

5 Likes

I must be the only one that thinks “Draft board” is a terrible name and shall only refer to it as “the new material” from here on out :slight_smile:

I won’t ride or drive a KIA for similar stupid reasons…

5 Likes

Yes, Any male US citizen born in 1952 and earlier would agree.

20 Likes

I’m lazy, so I tend to use proof grade settings whenever I can get away with it. Was just thinking today that I am probably doing myself a disservice with that approach, so I guess that bad habit will be corrected now… whether I like it or not :wink:

6 Likes

I took it to mean the tube itself requires the calibration. Not the entire unit. So we will still be able to purchase replacement tubes as needed and self-install if we choose.

@dan please clarify… Will replacement tubes purchased for self-installation arrive to us pre-calibrated?

2 Likes

Pulled the number 30 in my only draft lottery appearance. Then spent nearly 44 years in uniform. :glowforge::sunglasses:

13 Likes

I suspect it’s a combination of tube and powersupply. Possibly optics as well. In the update it stated it’s calibrated to your specific machine, which would imply it’s more than just the tube, otherwise there could be some glow forge parameter in combination with tube calibration parameter that would allow relatively easy user replacement. So, my guess the fine tuned calibration upon tube replacement requires factory replacement/calibration. Hopefully not, but that’s how I currently read it. Seeing how adjustable the power is, may make the factory replacement worth it, but oversea folks probably need a repair center in their go to allow for more reasonable shipping costs (which in 2+ years may very well be feasible)

1 Like

So, can I apply my :proofgrade: or store credits towards that or what? :wink:

10 Likes

@dan This also concerns me a fair bit. I asked a similar question about whether or not the high voltage PSU needs to be re-calibrated as part of a tube replacement, but didn’t get a response. I’m worried that if I elect to get a tube replacement shipped to me, that the PSU will be out of calibration for the new tube.

1 Like

Yeah. I see that, too. That’d suck. So let’s get the definitive answer on that and take it from there.

1 Like

Yep, agree.