Discussion of "Help Us Get One Million Ears Savers to Essential Workers"

I use 2 layers of newspaper under all my acrylic.

3 Likes

I really wish they would have supplied an SVG version. My pieces of acrylic are not 12x20 and I can’t mod the PDF.

1 Like

What size do you need?

8"x18" would be wonderful please and TY!

Not to be a pest, but would you share your cut setting for .06 PETG? I am expecting some next week and would like to hit the ground running.

1 Like

Here’s one that someone converted to svg:

1 Like

I just tried ZLazr.com for acrylic sheets. They have 12x20 sheets in all colors available. I ordered 20 sheets and got them in 4 days. Planning on cutting today.

2 Likes

Attention GLOWFORGE: When you match me, please include the ZIP CODE! 0 for 2 thus far.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I appreciate it!

Better to let them know via Problems and Support or support@gmail.com so they can fix the form, rather than posting in the user forum where they might not see it for a while.

Great lead Chooch! I just ordered some myself. Fair price and great selection. Shipping is a little pricey but great that they seem to be stocked up!

Hi Dale,

I just cut two sheets of ear savers on the ZLazr acrylic. The sheets are slightly smaller than 12 x 20 (which they state on their site) but the entire sheet of ear savers fits on them easily. No issues with the cuts and I took some of the other owner’s advice and peeled the top layer of tape off before cutting so I only have to weed one side. So far so good…the tape is a bit easier to get off on these especially on the clear, it is like Saran Wrap on the clear and if you drag your nail over it, it pulls right up which is great since I’ve picked so much tape this week my nails are gone. The colored sheets have a thicker tape on it similar to Glowforge’s. Hope it works out for you. Happy forging! :slight_smile:

I did about 400 this weekend and my fingers are sore and I went through a role of duct tape :slight_smile: Certainly worth it considering who we are doing this for, but, great to hear some techniques for making it easier. Just taking one side off before cutting is a game changer :slight_smile: thanks again for sharing the source and the follow up tips!!

Attached below. Right-click and save image as…

glowforge earsavers 8x18

Black is cut and burgundy is score (or ignore).

Speed: 250
Power: 100
Focus: .060"
Passes: 2

That will keep the stuff from re-fusing or melting the edges when it’s cut. I peeled the plastic masking off both sides first and laid the PETG on white copy paper on the bed.

2 Likes

Johnson Plastics has .030 acrylic in stock and they usually ship same day. I get the full sheet (24"x48") for $22 and cut to GF bed size with a utility knife. This works great for the ear savers since it is flexible enough to curve. I used 250 speed/full power on my PRO and it cut good. I did not score due to concern over harboring the virus in the score. My wife is a ICU nurse. She took the first batch to work with her last night.
Thy also have .020 acrylic if you are interested in face shield materials.

1 Like

Sorry - forgot to include link

1 Like

Love to hear what the ICU team thought of the .030, perfect place for us to get feedback - thanks for sharing your process!!

I just got an email from bf Plastics. Their 0.030” acrylic full sheets are $16.

http://www.bfplasticsinc.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=935DA254DBCC448389CA71E0EEF2AEEF&utm_source=web&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=duets-general-purpose-email-04202020

There’s a big long thread on FB about people “vetting” requests before sending out ear savers “because they seem sketchy.” It frustrates me, because it means people who really need them are having delays in receiving them, or maybe not getting them at all!

Free is FREE, people. If you offer to give something away, your job is doing the good deed, not dictating what the recipient has to do with it. Just DO what you signed up to do and quit judging people you don’t even know!!!

8 Likes

if you choose to use GF’s matching system, you should send them to whoever you get.

if you want to be picky about who you give to, then find your own locations/people to donate to.

5 Likes