Discussion of "Help Us Get One Million Ears Savers to Essential Workers"

We’ve made 41 deliveries using UPS Ground and have not experienced a problem yet. I do check every address on Goolge Maps first and email for confirmation. Sometimes we get confirmation and sometimes we ship anyway. All have been delivered.

We are taking advantage of our corporate UPS account which provides discounted rates and we have a scheduled daily pickup.

4 Likes

Hi Bailey,
I signed up, maybe incorrectly, to make the ear savers. I did not get any requests. However, I did go on our neighborhood facebook page, and offered them to medical or any critical employees. I did donate over 1,600 ear savers, and I thought that you might be able to add total this to your list of ear savers made by the Glowforge Community.

I found a company on Etsy called DelviesPlastics that gave me a discount for acrylic after I explained why I needed it. This was about a month ago, but he was really easy to work with.

I used a magic eraser and it worked perfectly.

Today’s the day that Designcraft crosses 100,000 pieces shipped out.
Thank you to everyone who has and continues to help with this effort.
We plan for this to be the conclusion for us.

7 Likes

OK, I’ve downloaded “EarSavers.zip” several times, and it looks like the .svg and .eps files in it are just different renderings of the marketing material, not the actual item graphics.

Does someone have a link to current/correct single/sheet files I can pull in to an editing tool?

It should already be on your home screen. You might need to “view all” to see it.

Yes but GF gave them the option to Customize it, and for that I need the svg, not just the branded object in library

i’m seeing the same thing when i just downloaded the file again. someone at GF must have done some updating and accidentally saved over some files.

this is the file i have from a few weeks ago. i think it’s the GF download.

EarSavers.zip (9.0 MB)

1 Like

Ah. I just ignored the custom layer and imported my own. But without the original for spacing, you’re kind of stuck, I guess.

There was a brief window where the files were missing - it should be fixed now. Apologies!

4 Likes

Thanks. Used fixed files to make a few panels for my local oncology unit as the third print on my new Basic.

Update on my earsaver sojourn - my machine is suffering from some firmware issue but it is not apparently toast. I was able to do a couple hundred today including some custom ones for someone here to see about longer lengths in thinner material. Those are heading off in the mail and I’ll be sending the other normal ones off to the hospital recipient tomorrow as well. Support says I can continue to use it and are just looking for updates if my problems recur. So I’ll be printing first and then looking for a match from Glowforge. That way if it fails again I won’t have to fail to deliver to someone who needs it.

Wife has asked that I install the new 6" 400cfm fan on the exhaust first as she’s not a fan of the acrylic odor that is wafting up from the basement (actually it’s coming in the bathroom window right above the exhaust port from the basement - gonna have to keep the window closed). I’ll do that tomorrow and then fire up the GF to start cutting more earsavers - trying to use up a couple of hundred sheets of acrylic.

(Anyone who ever had a hamster or guinea pig knows why my machine died. The minute you get the big bale of bedding shavings for the critter, he up & dies. Same with the 'forge. Get a few hundred sheets of acrylic delivered and the cosmos step in and gives it a smack :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

7 Likes

Delivered my first big batch of Ear Savers yesterday and got the following feedback:

They are too short for nearly everyone by about an inch and a half and they are very rigid so the few people that could wear them said the back of their head hurt after a short time

I used the Glowforge template provided in the Glowforge App (with the engraving layer ignored) on Medium (3mm) Proofgrade Acrylic.

I was paired with this organization again today. Any advice for what I should do to get them Ear Savers that will work?

1 Like

I’m using .030" acrylic from Johnson plastics. Its flexible and a lot cheaper. We just passed the 100,000 earsavers delivered mark so price matters!

1 Like

I was hoping there would be a place for me to specify that I didn’t offer customization because I print ahead, but I have looked over both the maker and requestor forms and wasn’t able to find anything about that. Even tried using three different browsers thinking it was possibly a script or compatibility issue. No luck.

I’ve got close to 1,000 printed and want to sign up for recipients but until I know how to specify this I’m holding back. Anyone know if there’s a different form some people are using? How does a donor specify no customization?

1 Like

Understandable - I’ve done >1k but one of my last requests turned out to be a marketing campaign.
I ran it to discharge the responsibility, but need an easy option to either refuse a job or at least its customization before I volunteer to make more.

Scott

2 Likes

Just email Glowforge and let them know you can’t take the job, and they’ll pass it to someone else.

OK. Which address?

The one in the FAQ. earsavers@glowforge.com

2 Likes