Discussion of "Help Us Get One Million Ears Savers to Essential Workers"

Are there any users in UK out there and signing up to help? I’m in London and acrylic order (from Hobarts) just came in so I’m starting to produce for my local NHS trusts, and have signed up via GF as well. I’m doing other sewing for NHS as well. If I post in some of my UK sewing for NHS groups the health care workers there may start to put in lots of orders-- but I want to sure we have other people besides me signed up to help get matched and fill the orders. I.e. I don’t want to publicize too much and then have orders go unfilled because there isn’t enough supply in our area yet.

1 Like

I see it every time:

I see them as well.

Thanks. My shortcut took me to the middle of the screen so I wasn’t seeing the count question. It was signing me up for 10 count requests. I signed up again for the thousands I have supplies for (I only had about 10 sheets of clear but I’ve got a bunch of color so since we can use colors I’ve got supplies for piles of them :slightly_smiling_face:).

1 Like

My aunt is an IUC nurse. She had me send them to her home as well. This was due to the restrictions of receiving at the Hospital. This made it easier for her.

1 Like

We shipped 2000 to hospital staff in MA yesterday.

4 Likes

Here are the 8x11 ones. The vertically oriented one (11T) has 2 more (26) than the horizontally oriented (8T) one (24). That’s when the cutting/layout matches the lengthwise orientation of the earsaver. There’s nothing preventing you from rotating the 11T version 90 degrees and have the earsavers cut out vertically rather than horizontally. In case you want to do that, I’ve added a vertical cut orientation one so you don’t have to mess with rotation in the GFUI. (I should use thicker/darker strokes in these so they show up better in the thumbnails :slight_smile: )

Glowforge Earsavers 11Tx8W

glowforge earsavers 8Tx11W

Glowforge Earsavers 8Tx11W Vertical

2 Likes

Weeding tip:

The Acrylic we’re using has a plastic film (not paper or tape) backing. We’re finding that a brief soak in isopropyl alcohol (5-10 minutes) is making the weeding much easier. We’re actually blowing the film off with an air gun after the soak. Weeding is now 3-4x faster.

Not sure if this would help with other backings but thought we’d share the results.

Note: We’re only leaving the backing bottom surface during cutting. We only have to weed one side.

2 Likes

I have shared this in another post, but I thought I would add it her too.

This file is modified to round the sharp edges and use the spaces for half ear savers that can be tied together for larger sizes. Mainly to avoid waste however.

ear savers from Glowforge full sheet

4 Likes

I was going to use that one but unfortunately it came in with extra lines vs the GF design so it needed clean up to get the single line cutout that the GF does. I started to work on it but there’s a bunch of them and the offset isn’t much but it’s enough to make it inconvenient so I’ve stuck with the corner version from GF. If it rains this weekend I’ll go back and round the corners of the original so it retains the single line cut around all of them.

As you can see, it’s not consistent between each earsaver so it’s not a quick line/segment delete to fix.

How do we remove ourselves from this campaign? My machine is not working, have had a service request in since yesterday, and I can not honor the orders I have. I have emailed the requestors but want to remove my name from the campaign.

Apologizes if this is duplicate post - but as anyone here seen this version? It’s two little pieces connected by a hair tie. Credited by a couple in Michigan w/ a company called ohhelloco.com

I’ve been researching which design would help the most - and especially those with long hair! I believe this design is the best. Any thoughts or feedback I can read if this is a double post. :slight_smile:

File here: Dropbox - Ear Anchor 1 inch long.svg - Simplify your life

3 Likes

Designcraft sent out 4000 parts today to TX, NY, IL, OH, and MD.

8 Likes

Can’t wait til my Glowforge arrives. That’s the first thing I’m making!

If you send me the info I’ll fill the orders for you.

5 Likes

Hi there, can somebody help me out with resizing? I was able to get smaller pieces of acrylic, but have no idea how to resize to minimize waste. I have 4”x 8” and 12” x 8”. Thank you!!

While I applaud your design, I have been using a different design even posted about it in the free designs. I have sent over 1500 of them to the front line personnel. And had positive feedback from every single person I’ve sent them to. My fiance and I also have a friend who works for a Hospital in Washington DC and She can’t keep them from flying from the proverbial cookie jar. Doctors, nurses and Heads of Hospitals ( basically anyone required to wear a mask) has been treating them like a precious gem. They’ve even given them a nickname which I will keep to myself cause it only has meaning to me. I will continue being ground support and will volunteer for the “Ear Saver” program but I will give them the option of which design they prefer the “glow forge design” or the one I use. I will however not engrave them because I believe engraving creates a weak point in the acrylic. And the last thing these people need is a hook snapping. So I leave it at that, my personal count for “Ear Savers” is 1500 for now.

*** UPDATE*** Just hit 2000 ear savers made

1 Like

2 Likes

I attempted to customize in Illustrator but once I open on GF the design shifts. Can anyone tell me how to fix the problem?

I just purchased roughly $300 worth of acrylic that was originally intended for personal production, but am now volunteering it for the initiative. I saw no/ and was offered no coffee for %20 price reduction, which would have helped greatly! A few other observations… what is the vetting process for those requesting the earsavers? I was matched with 3 orders immediately, 2 I know for a fact are for frontline medical workers, but one is a private residence and I wonder about the possibility of persons trying to resell our hard work. Hate to sound so cynical, but I’ve seen some pretty horrid behavior from some. Also, if there is a system in place to match requester to maker, can that system not be utilized to verify makers that delivered on requests and estimate based on fulfilled requests how much acrylic was used at the makers expense to somehow offer reduced materials once the crisis is past? That would help ensure that people who genuinely participated were assisted in getting back on their own feet in terms of their own business for which they volunteered their time and materials.