Discussion of "Help Us Get One Million Ears Savers to Essential Workers"

When you reply directly to someone, their avatar is shown in the upper right corner of their message, as you can see on this one.

Here is the message I posted that you are taking offense to. Note there is no avatar in the corner – that means it was posted to the thread in general.

This was a very small order from one of my local urgent care clinics. Couldn’t resist making them a box, pictured with a few earsavers in it before I filled it up.

8 Likes

pardon me, but what is “weeding”? I’m obviously still a newbie…lol

weeding means removing the paper masking that comes on proofgrade (and a lot of other acrylic).

1 Like

ah, thank you :blush:

My last order was in for someone in Houston :slight_smile:

Just let me know - I got another 20 sheets of acrylic in from estreetplastics today so plenty of supplies.

Here are my versions with softer curves (and no text). They should not have the multiple lines that the other version referred to did. After reimporting from F360, I duplicated the design a number of times to fill out the laser able area just like GF’s original. Then I “combined” all the paths, including the curves in every other row. I have not yet cut this multiple design – that will start tomorrow.

EarSaversFullpage_v2_notext_rounded_combined

EarSaversSingle_v1_notext_rounded

I got tired of delivering Earsavers in zip-lock bags, so I made a box out of Card stock paper. Each box holds 55 Earsavers. Man, I love this laser.

15 Likes

FWIW, I’ve been using small flat rate boxes from USPS. they hold anywhere from 144 to 180 of the ear savers, depending on whether you’re using 1/8 or 3/16. added bonus you can ship in them.

4 Likes

I know some others have mentioned this, but are there any plans to add some more options for quantities of ear savers you can make? From 385 (5 sheets) to 3,080 (40 sheets) is a really big jump…Would be great to have 1,000 as an option.

2 Likes

Each time you sign up, that is an entry.
I’ve done about 800 through the Glowforge sign-ups, and several more through local word of mouth.

1 Like

Not sure that will work – each submission overwrites the previous ones, according to the instructions.

1 Like

Don’t be disheartened… I think we should be able to sell to non-essential staff who still want them… maybe take a small donation to be used to buy more materials? havent dont it personally but it would keep the wheels rolling… ill run out of material pretty quickly. Im also consisdering asking my employer if they’d like to trade the cost of materials for their name on the item :slight_smile:

Correct, gotta wait and complete an order, then re-fill out the form so it doesn’t overwrite your previous submission. Just seems like a really big jump from 385 to 3,080, for us as makers and for the users-I imagine there may be quite a few users who need somewhere between those numbers.

1 Like

I got scraps from Lowes, Ace Hardware, Johnsons True Value, A Picture Frame company, my dad who works for a plastic recycling company and some might even try companies that make the skylights for homes.

2 Likes

Thanks. Looking good.

We’re over 10,000 donated now and have obtained acrylic for 10,000 more…
Just needed to spread the word.

Have printed 127 for glowforge… :confused:

3 Likes

Just curious…are a lot of people who have filled out the form gotten connected with people requesting these? I filled out the form but haven’t gotten any matches (it hasn’t been that long so I’m just asking, not complaining). I’m in the Denver, CO area, said I would deliver up to 50 miles or ship at their cost, and can produce up to about 1,500 at the moment, so I chose the up to 385 option.

It took them awhile to get to me. I did some for other folks or local operations and then started getting matched. I’m paying for shipping though so that may impact selection matching.

1 Like

Good to know, thanks! I’m surprised they don’t have a tracker on the main page. I.E. a big counter showing XX,XXX ear savers delivered!

3 Likes