Discussion of July Update, Part II (latest)

I know, I keep thinking I need to just start doing all of my cuts over that corner of the machine to try to hide it before anyone else sees it.

4 Likes

In the hopper to carry trays in the shop.

7 Likes

Was wondering about that myself… I ordered within the first week and still no notice for me

@dan, to start with, you may not need to carry it in the shop. You presumably have a pretty good idea of who got the Glowforges with a silver tray, and could just send those folks an email. “Would you be interested?” and offer to sell them a black tray if they so wish.

Then after the GF’s have shipped, you can revisit the idea of adding it to the store. I’m not really sure why someone would want a spare tray (speaking from inexperience).

Just wanting to keep things low effort for you guys so you can keep producing Glowforges!

1 Like

nice idea, but i think this is actually more work than just stocking it in the store. these are being produced in quantity for production units anyway and it’s not going to be much trouble for them to get a store listing up for it.

besides, some people may just want a second tray so that you can clean one and just have it ready to swap out without downtime.

4 Likes

Based on the info publicly available and setting aside the forum “regulars” that got bumped up in line, they are still working through the first day of orders, but that was the busiest day by far and has roughly 20% of all the orders we know of. Once that first day is done they’ll be moving through the calendar much more quickly.

5 Likes

By support, they mean offer technical support. It’s standard for any company to not offer technical support on products they don’t make or sell.

If you use Proofgrade materials, they are guaranteed to cut properly and the GF team can help you with settings and any issues. They don’t know the same details about the acrylic Inventables sells.

Hewlett-Packard and Epson only support their brand paper, but you can use anyone else’s paper in their printers. BUT if the Epson ink doesn’t dry when printing on the Office Depot brand glossy photo paper, then you can’t call Epson support for help. You’ll have to play around with the settings yourself or talk to Office Depot (which is probably as helpful as asking Lowe’s about using a laser to cut their plywood).

Another example is I have a Raise3D brand 3D printer. They only support their brand filament, but I can use anyone else’s filament in the printer. If the 3rd party filament doesn’t print as expected, I can’t call Raise3D support and ask why, but I can if I’m using their filament.

Some of it is a liability issue (if they tell you a setting and it’s wrong and you ruin the material, then they could be legally responsible for replacement of the material), but most of it is that they honestly don’t know - there are too many materials and too many variables for them to keep up with.

10 Likes

Was is that high for the first day? I thought they had announced something like 5 million for whole first week, off the ~28 million 30 day total so 20% would seem to encompass that whole week. Not that it particularly matters in the grand scheme of numbers soup.That they still don’t seem to have started sending out any new emails to give us any indication shipping has picked back up again is disheartening though.

I’m working from the info collected by our unofficial shipping board.

I think we’re just seeing a high bias towards people who ordered on the first day/week and forum representation, which drives shipping board attendance. 40% of all the entries on the shipping board are week 1 which doesn’t quite match the $'s.

For what it’s worth, we’re on work-day 7 of no reported emails, early June had a similar gap.

1 Like

I think there was one email reported yesterday but it is a far cry from about 90 per day needed to make the deadline. It doesn’t look like mass production has started yet because of the big delay from email to dispatch. After nearly two months of “shipping” we have only seen a handful of basic machines shipped to US customers. I think there will be another delay announced when volume shipments start.

1 Like

Do you think this will introduce too much moisture into the machine?

And nearly 5 week gap in shipping, unless it just happens that emails and shipped units have been going to non-forum users.

3 Likes

ha ha…that would be bad luck. I wonder if using something such as a cutoff piece of granite slab or something for the Glowforge to sit on as an additional heat sink would help?

1 Like

someone just mentioned delaying their delivery, and they got the email a day or two ago, so one hopes things are starting to regain momentum from whatever it was, packaging or otherwise, that led to them hitting pause.

Depends on the temperature. It shouldn’t be any different than cool a/c air. The output air temp from the cooler on its way to the GF could be adjusted by moving it further away or closer to the GF intake.

I’m going to take a shot at making one this weekend (I didn’t do it last night after I got done with the Redsail and saw that my amber alert wasn’t showing when I powered up the GF). Just for grins though or to have it ready if the temp threshold changes again - I’m assuming something changed on the GF side last night because the temp/humidity was the same as the night before, no changes on my end.

1 Like

There are too many people waiting on the June 13th emails for me to think they’ve sent out any units since the last batch that went to @SunnyStarbucks and a few others. When you get your shipping notice is when I’ll start buying into the statement that units are actually shipping again.

5 Likes

Mine didn’t even come with a shipping email LOL - it just showed up! :crazy_face:

9 Likes

Beyond the Manual: A place to get help from the community on unsupported topics like third-party air filters, non-Proofgrade materials, and just about anything else we don’t officially support.

Super awesome.

2 Likes

as long as production is continuing unabated and with ramp up, lack of shipping could be a non-issue. there could be a pile of machines waiting for new shipping materials and a swarm of machines coming in the next few weeks.

4 Likes

A confirmation or denial of shipping/production delays from an official source sure would be a welcome change from all the speculation.

3 Likes