Discussion of June '17 update

One way to get better at this, when you think there might be an interaction you are not sure of, is to run a response by someone you trust who seems to be better at it. Think of them like a coach or buddy. Write up what you want to say, send it privately to your coach/buddy and see if they have any suggestions.

2 Likes

Yeah, dude…you’re toast! Chuckle! :grin:
(loving tease)

1 Like

Yeah, that doesn’t really work for the amount of posting that I do here. Otherwise, I no longer write anything longer than a check (Only wrote two of those in 3 months).

Somebody called me an “Insensitive Asshat” on the forum about a month ago. Can’t remember who. Showed the post to the wife because I thought it was a great pairing of words. Just had a sound I liked. The wife said “you do realize that was intended to be insulting”? No matter how I looked at the post, those two words still tickled me.

20 Likes

the only right way to interpret internet conversations…

5 Likes

Who called you an insensitive asshat? :no_mouth:
(Oh wait…you said you couldn’t remember…never mind…)

2 Likes

Yeah, spelling and grammar apps pretty well cover my dyslexia, don’t think there’s an app for not having a feel for tone.

2 Likes

Wasn’t an issue. The wife agreed with him, but qualified, at least I don’t try to be that way.

11 Likes

Well, the rest of us don’t have an excuse. :scream:

2 Likes

So I just searched and this thread is the only one with the word asshat in it. Guess the other thread was maybe edited or something? :slight_smile: It does sound vaguely familiar though.

1 Like

Or a PM

I do appreciate how others get to dictate what you meant in absolute terms these days.

I’m kinda in the same boat as @rpegg. I don’t mean it that way with the 7 layers of insult, I mean it exactly the literal way I wrote it. But it’s my fault for not making myself more clear. It’s also my fault for not understanding you…?! Huh? Many an argument over that double standard and the mental gymnastics it takes to rationalize that into no being a double standard is astonishing.

2 Likes

Yeah, the refund comments shouldn’t be used as a way to shun someone. I try not to jump the gun and respond to quickly to posts that initially rub me the wrong way. (Not that I always succeed.) I try and remember the ‘one freebie’ rule and take into account we all make emotional posts and blow off steam now and then. Or that maybe someone is asking the same basic question that’s been answered a hundred times becasue they are just super excited like the rest of us. That being said, if someone continues to making false statements or just keeps poking the bear to illicit a response etc., I figure it’s fair to respond. There is a balance though.

4 Likes

I agree with you 100%. It’s used way too often in a dismissive way. They know they can cancel. They know they’ll get their money back. It doesn’t have to be said again and again.

4 Likes

Probably flagged and deleted.

I was amused by this, as it is so uncharacteristic of you to exaggerate (de-zaggerate?). :wink:

4 Likes

Well, the comments “I may lose my money”, “they might take the money and run”, etc seem to belie that. It may just be hyperbole, but it also keeps coming up, despite that GF has stated again and again that the money for operations is not our money, and that our money is in a pot somewhere safe (bank).

5 Likes

Actually, I was being literal. Surprised? It was a back door way of saying that I can get my money back (at least as of now) without saying it. Agree that those words seem to be a hot button with many so wasn’t going to use the line. :wink:

As far as the money being in a separate account… A few seem to think that Dan is Bernie Madoff. So if you are wired that way, then the money is not safe. But then why ask is my money safe? Not at all discounting feelings or their right to be angry, just can’t grasp the logic of hanging on.

10 Likes

GF has stated a lot of things again and again that turned out to be not true. I think they probably wont go bust but Dan not confirming their finances are sound doesn’t help confidence. They started off with a lot of money but we have no idea of their burn rate and cash flow, or their future profitability.

So while I don’t think anybody will lose money at the moment I wouldn’t shout down somebody that thinks there is some risk.

3 Likes

Exactly. Get your money back.

See that’s a more nuanced and logical argument, and that argument is less prone to get a “well go cancel and get your money back” vs. the “it’s a scam” argument.

5 Likes

You can chalk this one up to the fallout of the long history of securities fraud in the US. Anything a CEO (or other corporate officer) says about the future financial state of their company is a “forward-looking statement” and triggers a long list of FNL requirements. That’s why so many corporate press releases come with as much disclaimer as news. So for Dan to say something confirmatory would trigger either potential legal liability (which, as we know, GF is near-paranoid about avoiding) or come with a bunch of legal boilerplate at the bottom of the post that would mostly negate any reassuring effect. (In addition to costing international-shipping-grade time and money)

4 Likes

If that is the case then BTW I am 100 :neutral_face: