Discussion of June '17 update

Can you tell us about packing foam and about making a cutting board for your mother?

3 Likes

:slight_smile: Both are long storiesā€¦ Iā€™ll try to find some time to commit them to text.

4 Likes

If nothing else, itā€™ll make for interested reading in your next book, ā€œGlowforge: What I learned when creating a hugely successful laser printer that wasnā€™t really a printer.ā€

11 Likes

haha, heā€™d never okay that title i bet. what about: ā€œglowforge: how we found success by redefining printersā€

2 Likes

Itā€™d be more fun over a bottle of swill!

ROFL so true thoughā€¦ liability vs revenue. Your books would have looked incredible. Thanks for making the moral choice!

2 Likes

Hahaā€¦i should talk to you about drop testing packaging for a $75,000 machine. Now thatā€™s fun to see but same time 'cringing at the same time

3 Likes

not quite that pricey, but iā€™ve been through HPā€™s lab where they stress test all the workstations, and watching them throw the boxes on the ground over and over is, as you say, simultaneously satisfactory and disturbing.

2 Likes

"[quote=ā€œmpipes, post:539, topic:8394ā€]
So I just searched and this thread is the only one with the word asshat in it. Guess the other thread was maybe edited or something? :slight_smile: It does sound vaguely familiar though.
[/quote]

That is my single favorite word, so I got scared for a minute. Shew. #wasntme

I was meaning it would be on Glowforge if they shipped it and it brokeā€¦ He might get $500, a complimentary shakedown and a couple of drink coupons from the airline. lol If he flies a good one. :slight_smile:

Look at meā€¦ I finally learned to quoteā€¦ maybe I will earn that Regular badge one day. lol

9 Likes

Oh but @dan you have so much free time with nothing going on at work. Come on. #slacker :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™m slightly amused by the thought of how many times thatā€™s been searched now and anyone who might be analyzing forum searches for customer service reasons, etc. with ā€œasshatā€ appearing prominently on their list of search queries.

3 Likes

Here I sit, all broken heartedā€¦paid to FORGE but not yet started! This March 2016 purchaser of a Basic model admits I have no clue of what I will actually make with a GF since I have no background knowledge of what is a vector or rastor, but at 66 years of age by the time one of them finds its way to my driveway I am willing to try to learn. Pleaseā€¦all of you young whipper-snappers out thereā€¦you need to (A) learn to be patient, and (B) learn to appreciate that you found yourselves able to be exposed to the skills and knowledge you have gained in your blessed years enabling you to maximize your abilities on a machine such as a GF. I have cancer and am grateful I even got in line to get a Glowforge. Probably my final techie tool. My adviceā€¦master your use of the GF abilities and PLEASE TEACH just one other younger person who you already know of the capabilities of a GF and of what skills the individual would be ā€œsmartā€ to begin developing. Help others as you are able.

28 Likes

Hereā€™s to hoping you pull through.

B. x

2 Likes

I hope you get yours very soon! When you do, be sure to reach out for help if you need it ā€“ we are a helpful bunch and want everyone to succeed.

4 Likes

Now that was grace. (Happy to answer any questions I can when the machine arrives and you get started playing.) :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I have a friend thatā€™s an engineer for NASA. His primary job is to break things. His lab is full of hydraulic presses and all sorts of other other destructive devices, so NASA can know the breaking point of any hardware that goes into the air or space.

At times, he said his job would be easier if had the gorilla from the American Tourister commercial on his staff.

8 Likes

For a while now Iā€™ve been reading these forum posts and keep seeing where individuals keep stating they purchased on Oct ___, 2015. I never really paid much attention to the dates until this morning now before I tell you all when I ordered my Glowforge Pro w/ filter let me say that only two things prevented me from ordering sooner 1) Getting my wife on board and to what level (Basic or Pro) I could get her to agree upon 2) a few glitches with my credit card not allowing the transaction as they flagged it due to the extreme cost being placed on one purchase (Donā€™t get me wrong I appreciate the anti fraud Department in watching out for me) but it did delay my purchase a day or two. Now with that being said my exact purchase went through on Sep 27, 2015 8:32 AM and to tell the truth I never once worried about where my place in line was but the revelation that I made my purchase as early in the ā€œCrowd funding Campaignā€ as I did Iā€™m starting to think the outcome is looking pretty bright and canā€™t say it any louder. ā€œI CANā€™T WAIT AND OOOH THE THINGS Iā€™M GONNA ENJOY MAKINGā€ with this machine.

15 Likes

Thatā€™s great! Hereā€™s hoping for soon!

1 Like

Him indoors has a friend who has the same job for the Ministry of Defence.
He keeps asking when he can come on a ā€œTake a mate to work dayā€.
Doesnā€™t seem to matter how often heā€™s told ā€œThereā€™s no such thing as take a mate to work dayā€.

7 Likes

That. Is. Awesome. Sometimes I wish I was an destructive engineer :blush:

1 Like