Discussion of March 2018 Update

Or you could just have centimeters on the upper top and inches on the upper bottom as many so commonly do.

And what was what I was suggesting.

3 Likes

One of our members @dan_berry made a different version in a center finder configuration.

13 Likes

@dan Great to hear the international shipments are starting, a few questions:

1. If there are differences between the US and International GF’s what are they?

2. Any more details on the tube replacement process?

3. Will the shop and catalog feature international prices (eg Euro) or just US$?

4. For the shop and catalog what are the delivery charges for international orders?

Good to see metric measurements is front of mind :grinning:

:australia:

5 Likes

I’m sorry I don’t have any better answers, but:

1. We haven’t shared that, but the differences are small and will not affect customers
  2. No (although there was a thread on this recently with some more color - on a plane so I can’t find it right now)
  3. Likely USD-only
  4. We’ll share that when we launch
2 Likes

These are horrible to work with on tape measurers. Just get the one or the other. And you know what, phase out inches. Nobody wants you.

So am I correct in understanding that if GF supports the EU law, there will be a two year, cost free warranty on machines sent there? What happens when Brexit take effect? Will warranties suddenly end?

1 Like

I think so because my quote above from the EU commission’s own website. What I don’t know is if GF have to comply with EU warranty law for an import the customer has made. I assumed not until GF said they would comply with EU law. They certainly would if they retailed it locally.

No idea. I doubt anyone can answer that question ATM.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update Dan!

Any estimate on when Canadian orders will start shipping? I know you said at one point there were unique challenges when it came to Canada

Great update!

I’m still not seeing the metric keyfob or ruler. Are they supposed to be there now?

And a feature request: search within the “dashboard”. Since Glowforge puts files there that aren’t in the catalog, and everything I’ve printed recently is piled on top, a ‘search’ would make it much easier to find (for example) metric things. That, or add the ‘free to founders’ things into the catalog so that we can search for and load them into the “dashboard”. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like the original design I was just thinking that empty top could have the metric stuff

1 Like

I find them really useful and are go to when someone says that their 3d printer has a build size of 500 x 500 mm as example, as I still don’t do translations in my head on that very well, but if stuff (thermometers, tape measures, speedometers, etc) has both then it becomes a way for us old folk to make the translation smoother. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The metric ruler and key ring literally just showed up for me. I signed in and saw the key ring/fob, clicked on it to look closer and when I went back the ruler was there.

Still not there. I’ll check with support.

I know it’s coming. I really know :blush:
Just a note to let the Staff know that it would be greatly appreciated if we can have a way to store our settings and recipes for our custom materials in the web app. Ohh and a way to let the blowers work a little more time before shutting down to clear the smoke!

Thanks!

3 Likes

Both often requested.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. Good news for EU. Sorry Canada.

While a long wait for the international shipping, it is a major milestone and a good indication that Glowforge is sticking through it for the long haul. Just can’t imagine the intensity of the work of the team with these deadlines and delays and moving goal posts or whatever.

I haven’t been active on the forum lately. Too much going on. but I fired up the Glowforge for the first time in over a month and it worked perfectly. Proofgrade rocks! So nice to pull a bunch of items out of the tray and only have to pull masking off to get a complete object.

8 Likes

@dan are the differences between these and the prior Terms of Services tracked? It would be nice to know what exactly we are reagreeing to since there is no alternative software at this point. Simple Bank keeps their legal documents in a public github repository so that their customers can easily see what is changing. It would be awesome if Glowforge did something similar.

3 Likes

I’m guessing it’s just the items pertaining to the European Union that have changed, but I didn’t save a copy of the old one so I’m not certain.

We can’t comment on the law unfortunately (and we’ll have a series of conversations with our friendly overseas lawyers on a case-by-case basis as we explore the edge cases, no doubt).

No, but your order (if you’re in Canada) reflects that latest information.

I believe they should be in the dashboard by now.

Got it. For future reference, Problems & Support is the best place for feature requests.

1 Like