Discussion of March 2022 Update

Allow me to clarify my position then: macs hold a higher percentage for longer.

I make no argument to the reason for this; I state this as simply is.

Nor am I arguing how much higher.

I can go break down the price for the 09 t5600 I got a couple years back vs what the iMac was worth at that point. I know the Mac resale % at that point was much higher than the t5600. Dual xeons get pricey real fast and it’s base of 1500 was 700 lower than the iMac entry of 2200$ with only 1 Xeon. My iMac was roughly 2700$ and was worth 1/3 retail. I’d have to go figure out which xeons I bought the dell with. Only paid $500 for the dell.

Edit: Bought with dual e5-2660s. $1300 each new. ~ 1/7th retail?

1 Like

I am ordering a Basic now and the shipping is not free. Am I supposed to add a code to get free shipping?

Thanks,
Barbara

You have to buy a Plus or a Pro to get free shipping (until that offer ends later this month).

2 Likes

Learn inkscape or some other vector software, even now it’s night and day how much better the alignment options are.

The GF ui is admittedly a clever piece of work at this point, but it’s still no match for a standalone editing program.

2 Likes

I use illustrator, I’m talking about the alignment feature in the GF software. It’s very useful to have my many cuts lineup neatly. Yea, I could do this in illustrator but many times I’m using leftover scraps so this has been useful.

1 Like

I’m loving this March Premium update, @dan ! It’s my favorite update yet. Thank you so much!

Also, do you have a feature request for a way to estimate print time without having to turn on the Glowforge? Ideally, this feature would:

• Be faster than fully processing the file for print (because it wouldn’t need to be up/downloaded to the Glowforge).
  • Make file edit and print setting suggestions when it’s possible to reduce print time with minimal or no quality reduction.
  • And, if the user can adjust planned print settings in real-time and get updated print time estimates and suggestions… WOW!

There may be more use cases than these, but these are two use cases:

• Significant time-savings for users optimizing designs created in Illustrator, Affinity Designer, Inkscape, and other software (saving the time it takes to know what specifically to optimize for the fastest print time, as well as the time it takes to get time estimates).
  • Massive time-savings for users who are calculating machine time when pricing new products to sell.

Any chance this is a viable future update?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Heather

6 Likes

Ah man, this is bad news for educators. I was going to purchase another unit before the next s school year, however, I am unsure. the price increase puts you in line with some other models. Your competitor’s software do not need to be online, which makes me second guess this now.

I have owned a glowforge for school for the last few years without problem. I guess no timing is good timing for a price increase…

1 Like

Personally, I love the updates! The patterned lines are very cool (used one in my Easter design) and the outline tool is great! I use it constantly to add rings and tabs and things because I do a lot of jewelry and I needed this ability desperately. I just read that now you can copy and paste from design to design and that is going to save me tons of time re-creating the wheel :wink: Is there an erase? I don’t have a background in design (I was in grad school in Classics and then in Psychology) so I’m self taught and a lot of things that seem obvious to others aren’t to me. (Can’t type worth a damn , either.). Anyway, THANK YOU for all the great updates :grinning:

6 Likes

I teach high school and was lucky to get a Glowforge in my classroom. Everything went smoothly during the setup process and we were able to print/cut…it was awesome! My students and I were so excited and ready to print/cut the next day. Three days with the GF and 2 of those days there have been issues and we are not able to use the GF. I have contacted support and it will take up to 3 days to hear back…seriously? Is this what I have to look forward to with GlowForge - more frustration than actually using the GF. Please, someone make me feel better about this…I expected to need GF support at some point but not on day 2.

Perhaps if you share with the community what issue you are having, one of us can help you while you wait for official support.

3 Likes

Glowforge has made things easy for the non-technical person to operate it. However, it still has to do all the same things that take the same technical trickiness as one you build yourself and it takes the same awareness and respect. Plus the downside of having things done for you is that you cannot do them yourself and a very slight issue is as difficult as a major breakdown.

This is a hard (but very important) thing that every owner has to learn in detail even more than concept. Those who do have a pretty good time of it, with few problems over years. You have the additional problem of teaching this to others.

You have here a truly amazing group of people here to help, many who could build their own as well as like myself that came with no relevant electronics background and had to learn what others hardly think about so have to apply a different logic to a problem.

1 Like

Outstanding! Love my GF Plus.

Funny, I am on my second Glowforge and I to have no laser in my life either, broke again and your “do anything possible to not honor warranty team” The customer support team was eliminated. I’m reminded of the old saying “give them enough rope and they will gang themselves, well Dan you’re well on your way. With as many problems as that company has, you don’t belong on vacation, you made a lot of promises of which non have materialized. Maybe Elon can fix Glowforge, it’s obvious you can’t.

Just another totally disappointed customer knowing I’ve been scammed!

Will you please elaborate on what you mean by this statement?

If you’re lucky enough to even get in touch with someone, they will try everything they can to get out of covering anything under warranty. It’s really simple just google Glowforge customer complaints, the BBB has some good ones, all you can do is sit back and laugh knowing you’re in good company. Don’t know who you are but if you want a really good machine with way more capability for way less money look at XTOOL I have one now and it’s outstanding, I wanted some spare parts and had them in less than a week. The sales team always checks in to make sure you’re happy. I’m not a big China fan but I have to say they build a very good product and support it very well.

I have not had this experience, and I don’t agree with what you are saying.
I’m sorry you are having a bad experience.

4 Likes

Oh, unfortunately you’re just getting started. Your head is going to pop off soon when the machine starts failing and it will. If there is an upside with Glowforge it’s that it’s definitely energy star rated, can’t use any energy on something that won’t work. It’s really sad, because it’s a Beautiful looking machine and I think the initial idea was good but somewhere along the line something went terribly wrong. Good luck.

You will.

Oh, unfortunately you’re just getting started. Your head is going to pop off soon when the machine starts failing and it will. If there is an upside with Glowforge it’s that it’s definitely energy star rated, can’t use any energy on something that won’t work. It’s really sad, because it’s a Beautiful looking machine and I think the initial idea was good but somewhere along the line something went terribly wrong. Good luck.

What is the purpose of this post other than to vent? Glowforge support does not monitor the forum and you don’t state what, if anything, you need assistance with. Many people in the forum have had their machines for over 4 years and have had excellent results with it. I am one of those people. You can Google all you want, but satisfied customers don’t post. I am glad you like your XTool.

6 Likes