Discussion of October 2019 Update

Sorry, they only license the pro version. The free version still gets all the updates with no cost, but the Pro version has some additional features.

Oh, well then YES absolutely! Another baby company leading the pack :smiley:

Baby is right. They are 15 people and are now working to develop a massive 5-axis 3D printer with swappable heads that doesnā€™t need support material because it can print horizontally. And still keeping up with their other business.

1 Like

Unless someone came to your house, these are still software updates. Lots of gadgets get updates.

Microsoft is pretty much in the same boat as Apple and Google.

As in releasing substantial new features for free inside every operating system, all the time? I would agree! My Windows computers, Macs, and Google phones donā€™t get faster with age, but they certainly do more, all the time, with no extra purchases.

My phone getting Android 10, my iPad getting iPadOS, somehow those updates donā€™t count, but this Glowforge update does? Eh.

5 Likes

To each their own. Iā€™m glad youā€™re happy with them, just as Iā€™m thrilled with :glowforge:
@j.w.helle clearly doesnā€™t like updates to happen like that, which was why this sub-thread started :slight_smile:

Iā€™d be substantially more thrilled with Glowforge if they had delivered passthrough support as promised, and I bet a lot of people with filter orders have some opinions too.

Updates like this one take some of the sting out of it, but overall, the company is still in the middle of some fairly enormous failures.

Praise where praise is due. Criticism when criticism is warranted. @GrooveStranger is tough, but fair.

2 Likes

Google does? Iā€™ve been an Android user ever since the 2nd year of the iPhone when the new version came out and Apple said ā€œthanks for owning the first gen, please pay retail for the next version, no consideration for being an early adopterā€. So I went Android and Googleā€™s Nexus One. Been buying Androids from Google direct ever since. Yes I get discounts, a clean implementation of Android unadulterated by carrier bloatware, early updates of the O/S and yes, new features that do not require new hardware. I generally upgrade every 3 or so years, not every year. They do freeze Android version updates as the devices age (like 4 yrs or more, not every year) but that helps prevent lowest common denominator software constrained by old hardware.

Microsoft now - those guys just yanked my chain with a forced update of my Surface. Something in the update went awry and itā€™s caught in an endless ā€œAutomatic Repairā€¦Diagnosingā€¦Automatic Repairā€ loop. I had to buy a new laptop while on a business trip in order to get some critical work done.

Sometimes updates are good. And sometimes not.

3 Likes

@j.w.helle their approach to roll-outs and communication are a much better reason to not recommend this product. Automatic updates are valuable, however, I should be allowed to disable them and install them manually. I have updated my T.V. from a flash drive.

I would much rather be able to upload to my GF locally and have them open their ā€œsecretā€ motion file specification that way the community could create post processors for different applications removing the need for their cloud application.

@deirdrebeth literally all companies, itā€™s the forced check-ins with the cloud and inability to disable the updates that most other companies donā€™t to.

What would you consider a true update? Most operating systems regularly receive new microcode updates for their hardware, IoT devices too. In the case of Glowforge, they are finally releasing software that leverages the hardware they shipped years ago, whereas other companies are fixing hardware bugs we are slowly getting what we originally paid for. The only way to get true hardware updates would be to have upgradable components that could be installed individually.

p.s. Did you know that iRobot support has to call your Roomba by name when you phone them? Kind of weird when you hear support say: ā€œMr. Furry Sucker keeps running into problem Xā€.

1 Like

For those who havenā€™t received the update, when can we expect to receive that? My GF is going 12 or more hours a day right now to keep up with orders and a boost in speed would certainly be a huge help. Iā€™ve had my pro for 2.5 yearsā€¦is there an order as to when we get the update? Thanks!

If youā€™ve got that much business you need another machineā€¦time to expand operations. :smile:

2 Likes

I know! Itā€™s just happened in the last month because of a certain product combined with Christmas coming. It is certainly a consideration on the table at this point. Though I know as soon as I do and take the time to get it set up, Christmas will come and go and Iā€™ll slow down. But I guess at least Iā€™ll be ready for the next holiday season. :slight_smile:

You can do like everyone in the craft business and start stocking up in July for the Christmas season. (Used to drive me nuts to design for Christmas when the fireworks were going offā€¦but it makes for a rather large intake when the time comes.)

Yeah, pop for that second one. Even a Basic or Plus will boost output. :smile:

2 Likes

The problem is that itā€™s all custom. Customers submit personal photos, I edit and engrave. I wish there was a way to stock up!

1 Like

Yeah, that does create a problemā€¦but as word gets out, you might need the capacity to meet the demand. (You can run them simultaneously and double output.)

Anyway, sorryā€¦itā€™s just something I doā€¦I love to see small businesses take off and grow. :smile:

4 Likes

Another thing to think about is your backup plan. If your machine is that old and you are using it that heavily, you need to have a backup plan in place for when it fails, if you donā€™t have something already.

2 Likes

Just got the update!! Thank you!!!

1 Like

Well, a thought here is make if semi-customizable (like you can have this ornament with your family engraved onto it (and then pre-cut the ornaments, but have a jig for them to sit in), Of course you may not perfectly guess the product mix, but that way you will not have materials backlogs or anything, since they are done (and anything you can pre-engrave (like a ā€œMerry Xmasā€ or whatever that would save huge amounts of time in Julyā€¦

2 Likes

Agreed. Mine is cutting boards with recipes. So I have the boards ready and waiting. And thatā€™s about the extent of what I can do ahead of time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well standardize the recipes. You can only have Kraft Mac and Cheeseā€¦ :grinning:

6 Likes

But then you gotta license the Kraft Mac & Cheese name. :rofl:

1 Like