Discussion of October 2019 Update

I could have sworn that back in the day, when some people took the machines apart for the first time, they saw that the part numbers on the motors were the same in Basic and Pro models. This was curious because the company did claim that Pros could go faster. Anyone else remember that discussion?

Anyway, this is a great release.

1 Like

Iā€™m personally more excited for the minimizing margins part, but it sounds like some good upgrades in general!

2 Likes

This is yet another reason I am soooo glad I chose Glowforge!! Thank you for not being like iphone!! I look forward to years of use out of my Pro!

2 Likes

@dan Re: the Plus power change. Can one reasonably assume that when it comes time for tube replacement that the 45w checkbox will still be ticked - in other words, a like for like replacement?

5 Likes

Ah ok, makes sense then. Probably beefier stepper drivers for the Pro too then

1 Like

So I opened up the glowforge excited to get some faster engraves done today. I didnā€™t see any speed options different than yesterday. Do I need to do an update or something?

The beta options are rolling out over the next week. Youā€™ll just have to keep an eye out for them each time you open the app.

2 Likes

I need it NOW!!! :slight_smile: My friend has a different laser and I was just complaining to her yesterday that I am going to need to sell the Glowforge and get something faster if I am going to survive this Christmas Season! Then you all surprise us with this! Super excited!

4 Likes

Great improvements! Glad to hear about the speed increase, looking forward to trying it out soon.

1 Like

As far as I know that is still the case. The only differences ive seen are a peltier added to the pro for active cooling, and a beefier tube for the pro and (now) old plus models. afaik a plus is now a basic in every way except via software.

3 Likes

Previously when we compared, the motors were the same in all units. Maybe we should check again to see if anything has changed

2 Likes

Iā€™m not seeing the explanation on why the decrease in wattage for the pro. Isnā€™t that one of the reasons why I would spend more?

I bought a pro because of the 45 W, because it made sense about more power. Now Iā€™m getting sent a replacement, and Iā€™m concerned Iā€™m going to get a 40 W.

• edited to say my brain was fried and mixed up Plus with Pro. Sorry for the confusion
1 Like

My opinion is that the improved capabilities provided by the plus do not actually require the extra 12% in power, but rather other hardware differences.

@dan can you explain this?

My engrave screen doesnā€™t show the BETA speed option yet. How do I get the update?

1 Like

Can I force an update to get the new update? I want to try this now. Faster speed means less annoying loud noise for my neighbors :wink:

Manā€¦ I got to sayā€¦ Iā€™m Excitedā€¦ and disappointed at the same time.

1. Some one from GLOWFORGE please prove/verify that the pro has bigger stepper motors/drivers. That is the only thing that could restrict speed for machine speed.

A. If not different, then why on earth canā€™t the basic or plus go the same speed? Iā€™m pretty sure a K40 can go faster.

B. Why is the Basic 1.4x and the plus 2.8x if they are the same motors? 5w (and now NO difference in wattage) isnā€™t going to make a huge impact. Although lighter, it should still engrave.

1. Why would the increase NOT be for vector engraving also? Engraving speeds should be the same across the board. I understand cutting and scoring being different, but engraving is all parallel passes.

Iā€™m glad there will be increases in speed, but very frustrated with the implementation of this. I know how machines work. I design CNC machines and CNC controllers. Unless the PLUS has different electronics, the restricting the basic to half of the plus has to be simple because people paid more for the plus. personally, if that is the case, I think thatā€™s a pretty low move.

4 Likes

Excellent! Not sure what that means for me because when I ordered mine, there were only 2 models. So, Iā€™ll play with it. Documentation on the new features is ā€¦? Got to admit, I got a little chafed when my margins started to cut down on my 12x20 space, but Iā€™ve worked around it for now.

Still waiting for my air filter, so anxious to find out when mine ships ā€¦ and excited as well.

New features, some repeatable way to accurately position a target, right now I must cut a corner positioning jig, lock it down, then put in my target for consistent results.

Still, in all, love this thing. Am even considering giving up my woodworking business and just running a Glowforge shop. Weā€™ll see.

Thx
Dave

OK, I like free stuff. This is one positive aspect to the ā€œCloudā€ based operation of our machines. I am always happy when there are improvements, and I thank you for making our machines better. Also glad that we are not being tantalized by something only to be told that we need to send$$$ to the mothership.

Thanks for ignoring me during the live stream! Youā€™re number one! Any update on the pass through software?

2 Likes