Discussion of October 2017 update

Looking forward to the update next week.
Can we also expect an update on when the outstanding software features are being released? How long until pass-trough, kerf compensation, 3d-engrave…?
Thanks

10 Likes

Thanks for the update — the waiting has been excruciating! I have so many ideas just waiting to try, especially using my love of graphics and depthmaps. I applied and would’ve been a great beta-tester! Very patiently waiting …

3 Likes

I see no mention of US certifications (NRTL). Can you speak to that?

A roadmap of software features and improvements would be much appreciated. Just a loose one would even do. Planned Q4 2017, Q1 2018… We WON’T hold you to it! Just want SOME idea of what’s to come.

8 Likes

Thanks for all the details and some behind the scenes of the challenging issues. I can’t imagine how the enormity of the project impacts everyone who is dedicating their careers to the Glowforge at the moment. I look forward to continued improvements and I hope everyone gets their lasers soon. Bummer about the filter and the International delays. That’s got to be tough for everyone slogging through the process and for those wondering if they will every get their laser.

7 Likes

Thanks for the update and some of the assembly challenges. I have been touring factors around the U.S. for over 60 years, always been curious how stuff is made. Back then-in the good old days :slight_smile: -it took 400,000 people to assemble cars, now there are only about 50,000 autoworkers.

47 PM

@dan You need more robots!!!

18 Likes

Unfortunately no - we’re not able to share technical and production matters in any detail before we’re shipping production units. That’s because as interesting as it is to our customers, it’s even more interesting to the companies out there who admire what we do and wish to be more like us. Many of you will remember that our explanations got a lot more concrete after shipments started for the Basic, and then again for the Pro - it’s the same for the Air Filter.

We don’t announce dates for future software releases.

4 Likes

GF: “The days of waiting for production are over - we’re shipping”
Me: Alright!! I’m getting my GF!

GF: “The key question now is when each Glowforge shipment goes out, and the answer for that is going to vary, person by person”
Me: Wait… what?? I thought production was done.

GF: “Our factory in Milpitas, California is setting production records and many of you will get your Glowforge as planned in our June schedule”
Me: Yea!! I’m getting my GF!!

GF: “Unfortunately, not everyone will.”
Me: So… I’m NOT getting my GF?

GF: “I’ll tell you next week.”
Me:

65 Likes

You make a good point, it’s obvious that the glowforge team is working hard and doing their best to make things happen. I think it’s been pretty obvious that there would be another delay but things happen and making thousands of something isn’t a walk in the park. I admire the glowforge team for all the work they put in. That is the logical part of my brain speaking. The emotional side of my brain is saying, holy crap we have been waiting so long and the delays are getting old. My wife has given up on ever receiving our glowforge and we will probably have to have a good long talk once the new schedule comes out. I can hope by the end of the year but even that is feeling a little optimistic. Sorry for the bummer post, just feeling a little bummed.

6 Likes

I don’t blame you for being frustrated. But please remember that the forum rules say posts must be G-rated, and edit out the profanity.
Edit - thank you!

5 Likes

Can you blur the profanity, please? This is an open forum with children and everything.

And… You just changed it. THANKS! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m gonna strike a guess that Passthrough isn’t going to be finished until the push out the vision calibration fix.

2 Likes

I’m shocked. Never saw it coming. Lol

17 Likes

I hear ya. My halloween plans are pending on shipment, as have been my september plans, past christmas plans, birthdays, etc. I was lucky enough to receive a PRU in the meantime to take care of some of my needs, but as it was one of the first, it is quite limited in what it can do compared to a production run pro.

It feels so close, but yet so far away still… hoping we will get lucky =)

2 Likes

Yah. I have given up waiting on any help from the GF for Halloween prep. I’ll be running the old K40 as hard as I can. With my luck it will arrive 2 days before my Halloween party, and become as much of a distraction, than any real help.

4 Likes

I’m hoping for good news next week as I’m only three days back from the current regular GF ship date–fingers crossed…

I have several projects I’ve wanted to do while waiting for the Forge to ship when it was supposed to–trophies for a reunion (nearly a year ago), a 1-year anniversary gift to a couple whose wedding I officiated, Halloween decorations, various household repairs, etc. One I’m really excited for–I recently got back from Stockholm, and the natural history museum was selling original brass handles from their specimen collections. Hoping to use GF to make some museum-style drawers with them.

With the Forge always 2-4 months away, I let my TechShop membership lapse, figuring buying a yearlong membership for something I use largely for laser cutting would be silly once I actually owned one.

The missed date is frustrating, but just to be clear, the really frustrating thing is repeatedly getting my hopes up and then waiting with no updates, when signs of major slippage should have been visible far earlier, and expectations could have been adjusted. I am grateful you sent this one before next week, because I’ve been checking the forum daily for the past month, and bad news soon is far better than bad news later.

14 Likes

Before you are going to send everyone their individual timeschedule i think it would be helpful to ask every customer for their current location. in my case i moved from usa to germany, i already emailed your support about this but i was told that it is not necessary to tell them, because glowforge would ask before shipping…

So i am a international customer, who will live in 2018 in germany :slight_smile:

1 Like

This update was very interesting. I appreciated the insight into improvements for the camera system, for example.

I do expect my Day 30 order to be substantially delayed. Well, the dude abides.

Even if we don’t get release dates for software it would be nice to know what’s coming next, at least in general terms.

My assumption is Pro passthrough stuff will be last, because there are other missing features which everyone benefits from. I’d guess that passthrough features are related to flip ‘n’ cut, making that a higher priority to tackle first.

10 Likes

Waiting for over 2 years, what’s another 6 months and another 6 and another…

10 Likes

So what are new calculations on proofgrade bucks?

I have 10 months late on promises by my count. I was just assured 2 weeks ago that there would be no delay by support. Did I pay extra for empty promises or is that just an added bonus?

If I had heard the truth back in December, I’d have gotten a refund and used it towards a brand ready to ship. Long ago I stopped sharing my excitement. Instead I started telling people who asked about when I would get thatI cancelled the order because I felt like a fool. At this point I wonder if next week email will mean anything at all.

9 Likes

Great country, would move back there if i could!

3 Likes