Discussion of October 2017 update

My “shipping” date is Jan 24th but dispatch won’t be in January unless they change how they operate. Not home until Feb anyway.

I’m guessing you’re referring to the date under your account on the GlowForge site. Note that is a SHIPPING NOTIFICATION DATE, which indicates when you will receive your email notification that the shipping process can start. You would not actually receive your GlowForge until after you respond to the email, and based on what I’ve read, it would arrive 2-6 weeks after you respond. So you should be fine.

There’s no doubt that @palmercr is aware of this. Few have posted as much on the topic. That’s what the quotation marks around the “shipping” was intended to indicate, I believe.

Of course, you may be posting ironically as well and I missed it. :slight_smile:

Edit: in -> on

4 Likes

Wait. My Ship date for my pro is mid November, but my air filter won’t ship till spring?!?! So How am I gonna use this thing? Am I to assume my warranties will not start until I get my complete unit? My proof grade bucks shall continue to accrue until I get my full order? Ugh, so frustrating!

2 Likes

Where are you planning to use the unit? Do you have a window that you can vent out of? If not, do you have a temporary location with a window to vent out of? That’s what everyone with units is doing at this point. The filter is not mandatory for using the Glowforge.

Per the warranty info on the website, the warranty begins when each piece is picked up by the shipper/it leaves the loading dock on a truck.

One would presume this means your filter warranty starts later than the laser unit warranty since the units would ship at different times, unless you decide to defer your printer delivery until the filters are ready to ship. Would that be correct, @dan?

1 Like

Correct - each part’s warranty starts when it’s shipped.

2 Likes

@dan Can you tell me if the delay in Sept/Oct related to the shipping materials and/or the 40% production failure will push some units past the 6 week deadline after receiving our “do you want your Glowforge?” Email? I am just curious because my 6th week just started, so I am expecting it to come in by this time next week. Is that unrealistic at this point? 5 weeks and 1 day and I have no tracking number still, so it seems unlikely to be here by the 6th week’s end, because I assume it takes 5-6 days travel time to ship (to East Coast)? I just want to have a reasonable expectation, at this point.

Thanks.

1 Like

It does take 5 days minimum. Used to do shipping and have watched two packages come to me from CA to NJ.

It shouldn’t - please email support to have them investigate!

Woh. Please clarify given your definition of “shipped” I am assuming the warrantee will start when I receive the machine, not when I receive the email. Thanks.

3 Likes

If you read the small print, Apple, HP, Sony, Samsung and most other manufacturers start your product’s warranty the day your product leaves the factory or warehouse, not the day you receive your product. Same thing with extended warranties offered by those manufacturers.

Hopefully, Dan has mixed up our definition of shipped vs GF’s definition of shipped.

3 Likes

With Apple, the invoice date will trump what is shown in the system. Occasionally a customer would buy old inventory from an authorized dealer, and there’s a mechanism to send a copy of the invoice in for review.

There’s also the Apple Customer service Line. I’m pretty sure a customer in a situation who’s warranty expired on a shipping date issue like that could get it covered, if they were vocal enough. I’ve seen Apple CSAT do some truly amazing things for customers. Same thing in the Apple Retail stores.

If it’s a reseller, (privately owned) know that their hands are tied when it comes to any out of the box solutions. They will be more than happy to help if you get a CSAT code from Apple (which is different than a case number). They can, however, only do the work outlined by the CSAT code.

2 Likes

I’m not saying that most companies won’t help if it’s a couple of days out of warranty, (Apple has been great the few times I’ve had to have something fixed).

I was merely pointing out that most of the electronics industry starts your warranty when it ships the product to you, not when you receive it. (Buying it in the store is different). The last iPhone I ordered online from Apple had a warranty that started 5 days before it arrived.

I assume Dan was using the word shipped like we use it, since it’s hard to have a warranty start on a product that isn’t assembled yet.

The question reminded me of the meltdown in the forum when Dan said Glowforge only supports Proofgrade materials. A lot of people were angry/upset because they thought it meant using non-PG material in your GF was going to void the warranty. A lot of people didn’t understand the difference between technical support and the warranty.

1 Like

Fair enough if they don’t give technical support about non PG material issues, like why is my print too melty / smelly / not cut through, etc. But when the issue is clearly a machine issue not a material issue they should support it. It is unrealistic to think OS customers will use PG unless they sort out local distribution. And this was never sold as a machine that only works on PG. So technical support should be given when the machine is used for non PG materials, apart from suggesting settings.

2 Likes

Pretty soon we’ll need a glossary to help keep track of all the subtle contexts.

Shipping v. present tense

1. To the lay person: An already manufactured product is in transit to the customer but has not yet left the factory. Typically used to describe the actual date the package will be picked up by the delivery company at which point it is considered shipped. Delays while in shipping status would be limited to getting the product into a box and handed over to the shipping company.
  2. GlowForge context: the period of time starting when you reply to your golden email until the item as arrived at your house. This includes manufacturing and assembling your product along with the actual transit. e.g. “We are shipping your new GlowForge, please wait X weeks while we make it.” Delays while in shipping status can be caused by R&D, QA, manufacturing, logistics delays in getting parts or packing materials, etc.

Shipped v. past tense

1. To the lay person: The package has been picked up by the delivery company and is in transit to the customer. Once it arrives at customer, the item is considered received.
  2. GlowForge warrantee starts when shipped: actual meaning is unknown.
9 Likes

our “shipped” is GF’s “dispatched”

5 Likes

And here you highlight the problem with how readily they change the meanings of words that only serves them and confusion.

2 Likes

Whenever the final pre-order glowforge is delivered, that month will be renamed December 2015. There was never a delay at all. We were just using the wrong definitions.

5 Likes

It would be a logistical nightmare to catalog it all and it could be outdated before they finish. It’s not like there is 2-3 world wide suppliers of acrylic. You are taking about regional suppliers all over the world. This is where the “beyond the manual” section of the forum is helpful (as long as you aren’t the only one from your country or neighboring country here).

Let’s say there’s a company in France that makes plywood. The staff at Glowforge have no idea what the cut and engrave settings are unless they test a sample from that manufacturer. GF has no idea if the plywood is laser safe without a material safety data sheet on the glue from that manufacturer. (to add to the mess, the manufacturer of the plywood may not know if their glue is laser safe since they buy their glue from the factory on the other side of town).

Do you expect a French plywood manufacturer to call Glowforge HQ every time they change the glue or wood they use? Or expect someone at GF to call every acrylic manufacturer in the world once a month to ask if they have changed their acrylic formula? This would be a full-time job for a team of people.

Do you expect Hewlett-Packard or Epson to test and track every brand of glossy photo paper out there and provide settings that work with their equipment? You can use the other brand photo paper in the printer, but HP and Epson give you no guarantee it will work. You have to test it and make adjustments.

Most companies that supply materials that are deemed laser-safe have suggested settings on their site, but they are just a starting point. The settings will vary by laser cutter and the age of your tube.

If you are looking to start a blog or YouTube channel, I think you have a great topic — “What materials available in my country work in the GF and what settings should you use.” Manufacturers might send you free materials and hopefully their safety sheets.

1 Like

I think you misinterpreted my post. I have changed the wording slightly to make it clearer.