Discussion of the April '17 update

As an engineer myself, I would LOVE to see the test setup! Maybe after August? :wink:

Add it to the catalog please! I want one!!!

P.S. It looks like a simple enough design… I might just have to design one for myself! Creative juices are always flowing with a Glowforge in the house! :wink:

1 Like

I’m with you there. I get into a lot of testing groups at work, because I tend to be very good at breaking stuff through attempted use. I’m the reason why we can’t have nice things, except I help make them nicer because problems get fixed.

2 Likes

Sounds like that contractor has a dream job. I’d actually set an alarm just to keep the sucker going round the clock.

1 Like

The air cools the electronics, which warm the room about as much as a desktop computer - that is, very little. But if the air was recirculated, eventually the electronics would overheat.

7 Likes

Only for beta and prerelease customers so far, I’m afraid. We’ll let you know when you can use it!

1 Like

Oh wow!! The passthrough! Makes me wish I had upgraded to pro!! Same with the filter. Haha. Thanks for the update Dan! I look forward to getting my hand on a production line unit!!

5 Likes

I’m right there with ya :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Since Dan gave a sneak peek at the materials catalog, and indicated that it is accessible to the beta and prerelease folks, I can attest that the site functions well. I have purchased items. It’s kind of like that Breakfast at Tiffany’s thing. The shipping gets to its intended target. The materials are well packed. And every bit of material I have received is excellent. There is a good selection and just about everything that is now available to me has been demonstrated by someone.

11 Likes

Me as well. Basic with no filter.

2 Likes

Yep, I used it. It has materials, you could easily find them, ordering worked like every other e-commerce in the world, and stuff gets sent (I haven’t received it yet, but I believe things that get given to fedex arrive at the other end). So not rivetingly exciting, but easy, quick and practical (and it does look very nice).

4 Likes

I’m still on the fence on if I should keep the filter or not. :confused:

1 Like

Unless you are needing the money it is better to wait to see how well they work before deciding to cancel or not. Hard to make a decision on seeing a couple of incomplete photos and no technical details.

OOOooo, Breakfast at Tiffany’s.
Guess what is going to accompany my glass (or two) of wine this weekend.:relaxed:

2 Likes

I’m not too worried about if it will work. My bigger concern is will I use it. I’m going to be venting out a window for the most part. I was considering keeping it if I take it with me places. For example, bring the Glowforge to my sisters classroom.

But either way, I agree with you. I’m not going to make the decision until right before it ships. :smile:

We use interns for that :wink:

(aerospace, not medical)

Some of our interns are pretty spacey too… :grin:

2 Likes

This has got to be the slowest growing update thread ever. it’s almost 24 hours later and we still haven’t gone over 100 post.

@dan I guess everyone liked the progress report! I’d love to see more photos on a regular basis!

and… you know, get my hands on a unit.

9 Likes

Good stuff. :slight_smile:

I wonder if there is a software limit as to how long the sign can be? Could the software handle 300 yard long dxf file? One would think so because it’s just math :wink: but maybe displaying that get tricky…dunno. Thoughts?

3 Likes