Discussion of the April '18 update

Recommended Operating Temperature: 60F-75F (16C-24C) Basic and Plus; 60F-81F (16C-27C) Pro (from Glowforge - the 3D laser printer).

Totally effing gutted once again… New Zealand shipping date has gone from july to october… we will get to august n it will change to january… we will get to december it will change to april… 2 years plus already. MORE THAN 3 yeeeeeeeeeears to deliver!!! Over $5k nzd… Im trying to run a business off the dream you sold me… when are you going to offer us something solid n stop changing it? Its ridiculous.
Seriously disappointed in this latest date change.

It’s a little more subtle than that; over 75*F, it will start to pause frequently during printing (and resume seamlessly). Longer printing sessions or higher temperatures will make the pauses longer.

1 Like

@dan, I am not that happy for the April (late) update.

As I predicted, the late April update means another long delay.

I know and appreciate that you and your company paid effort on delivering the products. However, the April update gives an impression for me that International Customers are not that in high priority as we knew in the very beginning.

I understand that getting US domestic pre-ordered customers shipped first and then for international pre-ordered customers. But the current impression for me is that your effort is distracted to other areas like giving more discount to customers and launching the plus model. Another impression for me is that you just started to work on the international pre-order customers issue (like C&L) right after finishing all US domestic pre-order customers.

The delivery date is once again delayed to near 4 months to 1st Nov. 2018 from 4th June 2018. It is almost 3 years after we pre-order it. And we got no reason about the delay. We don’t know whether it is delayed due to production issue or the (C&L) license issue (which is unbelievable about the uncertainty date of complete and delay). You have past 2 years to solve the C&L issue before. If C&L for different countries are really an issue, what your company paid for the C&L consultant should be blamed for. You should have found that in the beginning.

Please your C&L consultant to give you a realistic “estimation” and ask them to give you reason AND tell us about it.

Now, i took some times to read back all previous update for the delay. It is totally ridicious, especially for the timeline. You didnt account for the C&L issue before in the timeline. I was cheated.

I always keep a faith on you as well as your company for every delay in the past. I was too native for that.

For the update of 2016 June:

What mentioned is totally a joke. IF, (I don’t think the deadline you “estimated” now), you ship the machine to us on November, it takes more than a month for shipment. Then it will be 2019. It’s useless for the discount. It’s a completely ridiculous.

You didn’t mention any remedy for that because you didn’t think about the impact of the delay for each country.

Please don’t tell me that 1) you and your company are the one to blame for the delay, (um… If it is not the case and that obvious, we are the one should be blamed?) 2) you can’t wait to ship us the machine tomorrow but you can’t due to blah blah blah (It is just a sweet talk if you can’t turn it into action) 3) you understand how upset we are. (No, you don’t understand at all) 4) Your company paid more for the international customers than the US customers. (Then we are deserved to wait for more than a year?)

I’m tired for reading the similar replies from you like that in the previous update (the delay announcement). You just gave a sweet talk and false hope to others because you just don’t care. Action speak louder than words.

Another thing your customers piss off now becaue you not only keep us in blind about the situation and delay announcement but also your attitude to shift to other focus.

Especially, I think you quiltly postponed the “estimated” delivery date without explanation makes customers most frustrated. For me, it is a crisis management and PR tool to quarantine the delay issue for individual customers.

4 Likes

Deja vu!!! Screenshot of my march update comment!

2 Likes

On the upside, that $20/mo of delay is starting to add up: $20/mo. of delay credit details?

Its likely a pain to ship multiple orders of proofgrade to us too… so i wont hold my breath :wink: i want a machine not free wood…

Are you guys kidding me? In the April update I made a post complaining about my delivery date being pushed back from February all the way back to the end of June and now you’re pushing me back again to November?

You’re now selling units and the customers that crowdfunded you and gave you 5k dollars 3 years ago because we believed in your project are just left standing for another year?

What is the reason, or better, the excuse this time? what changed in order for some of us to get our date pushed back 5 more months?

This is unfair and an utter disrespect for the people who crowdfunded you.

7 Likes

My pro got pushed to September :frowning:
Part of me knew this was coming. It was feeling too good to be true that I was only 2 months from shipping.

Hmm, logged into my account this morning and it says June 30th as well (was May 6th as of last Friday.) I guess the current prediction is they will ship a lot of filters all at once. Or they’ve just given up on predicting. Fortunately, I am in the group that doesn’t really need it.

1 Like

Looks like Canada is pushed out to September — @dan, will you be addressing an extension of the founder’s status out to 2019? It seems a reasonable move at this point…

2 Likes

You must be using the word “commit” wrong… you cannot commit to october 2013… and have us still sitting here october 2018!!! Commit means the date stands as a commitment…it doesnt keep moving. Buy a dictionary with our $28mil you got…

1 Like

Yup left my job 2.5 years ago as my laser cutter was due to ship in 2 weeks time and i had a lot to organise and set up… then the date shifted 6 months out, about a week into self employed life… how scary was that. Zero security. So i did some other things to buy soome time…
Do you evrn know how much you have impacted lives with your extremely poorly planned project??? Who even sells into countries they cannot send into?!? You are starting to feel like the enemy… the thief…

1 Like

It’s almost as though the Very Best Information Machine is not connected to anything.

1 Like

I second this!

Seriously… this is pathetic. Another push back of 3 months. This is stupidly ridiculous. Whats more ridiculous is that I gave high hopes and kind views on each of your delays since the crowdfunding. But this is just completely over the top now. Im insanely disappointed with how glowforge is dealing with ‘US’ international customers. You’d think over 2 years to deal with shipping overseas would be dealt by now… ergh, if suggesting for refunds is a response, believe me dont get my gears turning because waiting this long and getting that response is just another kick to the bum.

3 Likes

Originally born in the US, I have currently been teaching in Singapore for the last few years. I ordered my Glowforge June 2016 and up until the delivery schedule was just updated, I was slated to receive my shipping email in July. I just checked and now it has been moved to NOVEMBER.

Up until now, I have been SUPER patient. Understanding that if something goes terribly wrong, it will be extremely expensive if I want to send it back for repair. So the silver lining has been that most initial big bugs will have been worked out by the time I would have received mine.

Singapore school year ends mid November, when I go back to the US for 6 weeks to visit family. Which means I possibly wouldn’t be in Singapore to receive my Glowforge and have to push it back further.

I still really want my Glowforge but now am entering into being extremely frustrated and upset. I know that Dan and the Glowforge Team has been working hard to do the best it can, but this is ridiculous. Customers in the US can receive one in 10 days from a new order, but it might be more than 2 1/2 years by the time I receive mine?

I NEVER write this in a public forum but . . . . WTF?

7 Likes

Anybody else had their estimated delivery date bumped up to Nov 1 2018 too? I think it is very ridiculous for a backer to wait more than 3 years to get their machine. We were there to back you up when Glowforge first started and every time we reach close enough to the delivery date, it will unknowingly be shifted to a later date.

3 years is a VERY long time when it comes to technology, and a lot of things can change. Just to put things into perspective, when the Glowforge ads first aired we were still using iPhone 6s. We’re at iPhone X now, for those getting their delivery in November, the new iPhones will be out already (that’s if we even get to have the products by then; there’s still a 6 week delivery period mind you).

I am basically waiting for a product that is already 3 years old, and @dan is here happily announcing a new model for Glowforge when I have yet to receive my Glowforge BASIC. how does it make someone in my position feel to read that orders made in the US now will be delivered in 10 days? I am still waiting, for 3 years dammit. This is really not acceptable.

I’ve lost faith in the product. I’ve lost faith in @dan to the point where I don’t even wanna see any updates from him because I know it’s never good news. @dan you asked for our support, we gave it to you, we stood by you right for the start. Where are you now in all of this? What are you doing besides pushing our dates further and further?

Bring the machine to Singapore.

4 Likes

Exciting and disappointing at the same time – was part of the kickstarter campaign - didn’t have room for the pro and pass through slot - now there is a plus model that would have been perfect. And the price drop of the basic is sad - I know pricing changes, but we were told the basic was going to cost $4,000 and the by funding you we would get a steep discount and only pay $2,495 - now that is the same price you are selling them at

3 Likes

Did Canada Border Patrol/Customs care about the laser regulations when you drove it through the border? I’ve had mine happily running in California for awhile but am planning a move back North within the next year or so and am starting to look at logistics of moving 8 years of life (and accumulated toys/tools).