Discussion of the April '18 update

Smoke, mirrors, AND an exhaust fan!

My ESND just got changed to Sept 1, 2018. Give it a few weeks and Iā€™ll be right there with you :slight_smile:

Or a free upgrade to the new plus from basic!!!

1 Like

YESSS!!! for 3 years wait, it should be done.

Can we buy an upgrade from basic to plus?

In the past they have allowed people who had not yet received their machine to upgrade. Email support@glowforge.com to find out what is involved.

My new ESND is 1-Nov, this is crazy

My shipment time was extended to November again
Is anyone like me?
Indefinite extension

too exaggerated

me

Where are you located? Mine is still at September 1st

Yeah, Iā€™m afraid Iā€™ll have to second that disappointment. Iā€™m glad pricing is lower in general, but I signed on with a preorder for ā€œ40% offā€ and in exchange let you hold my $2495 for almost 3 years. Now it turns out that at ā€œLaunch Day,ā€ which is the time any ā€œpreorder discountā€ should realistically be referenced against, the retail price for everyone is the same. Admittedly I did get some bonus materials, but it doesnā€™t quite add up satisfactorily.

Well, at least I got mine 2 months before launch day.

1 Like

I feel very frustrated about this as well.
Waiting and waiting.
If the logistic and importation are a problem, why do they accept the order in first place. Iā€™ve missed few promotions from other laser cutter companies.

Iā€™m in Australia too. The estimated delivery date just keep pushing back.
I would have bought a one locally and started selling something even though the price is higher.

Super disappointed.

Iā€™m from Taiwan

Australia here as well. updates should just be titled ā€œGlowforge: why my preproduction unit is delayed againā€

it was just pushed back to october 2018ā€¦ yay, three year waiting list!

I paid $2600 USD for a unit that was advertised as being 50% off retail price in Oct 2015.
In Australia dollars at the time that was $3700 AUD.

Today, I can buy one off the shelf for +$500 USD / $4118 AUD with todayā€™s exchange.
Thatā€™s a difference of $418 AUD or roughly 10% offā€¦

At this time, expected delivery was to begin 2 MONTHS after the campaign!!
Instead, here we are 3 years later, and still nothing but delays in sight.
So, IF we were to get the unit in Oct as is now ā€œestimatedā€ thatā€™s in the area ofā€¦
900% off the mark here.

From an investment point of view.
At 7% PA interest we get $865 AUD on the initial outlay of $3700 AUD over 3 years.
So for the $418 I saved on purchasing it 3 years ago, that cost me $865.

Thatā€™s $447 more to order it 3 years ago compared to ordering it today.

So, I didnā€™t get 50% off retail I got 12% on top!

I guess my main issue here is the way it was presented. If this was an honest campaign and they used honest figures they would have been lucky to attract 5% of the orders they did.

I cannot believe they could be so far off the mark without knowing so before the campaign began.

To say 2-6 months and it not be done in 3 years is unbelievable. They are now, 3 years later, delaying the shipments each month by the figures that were originally stated as the delivery timeline.

And one would have to question if there was ever the intention to sell it at double the price we paid originally.

Cancelling order todayā€¦

9 Likes

Iā€™m sure they did intend to.

Back then there were no comparable products on the market so Glowforge could set their own pricing. But then FSL came out with the Muse (and is now licensing it to Dremel) which puts significant downward pressure on what the market will bear, so now it would be a lot harder for Glowforge to charge the prices theyā€™d originally intended.

1 Like

That sucks that you havenā€™t got yours. And it sucks that you have to cancel. But, I sincerely hope that you find something that works for you.

Buying any piece of machinery is not an investment so I canā€™t see how it can be compared to an investment. If you were wanting an investment (buying something in hopes the value rises) anyone in their right mind would have said - donā€™t buy a laser - or any new hardware for that matter.

2 Likes

The investment would have been the saving of $2000usd for spending the money 6 months earlier than I got the product. If everything went as marketed then i could have easily sold the unit for a 25% profit 6 months after dropping the money on it. Not that that was my intention but you can see how loosing money over 3 years with no material benefit at all is the opposite of the expected outcome.

The whole incentive of preordering in this case is completely dissolved.

2 Likes