Discussion of the April '18 update

Exactly! Am I going to even be able to use the gift certificates? or those are valid for US customers only?

1 Like

Yes you should be able to use the gift certificate, but I don’t think you’ll get the free shipping. Considering the length of the delay I would expect the shipping will be well covered and you’ll wind up with a nice pile of materials (you’ll most likely have to pay tax/duty on.) 3 years worth of waiting nice? Not so much.

1 Like

You can always use the credits on the catalog design purchases as well. Those won’t require shipping.

1 Like

haha I literally forgot that I even ordered an air filter. wow.

Except when you enter your country in the catalog, it won’t let you proceed because it “can’t calculate shipping costs”. I sometimes do wonder…

Yeah, there’s definitely a bit of tweaking left to be done. :smile:

I think it would be more accurate if it said “can’t calculate taxes” or “Glowforge doesn’t yet know how to collect nor pay the correct taxes for your jurisdiction (even if we’re covering them with a gift certificate)”.

1 Like

Yes pathetic isn’t it. I sometimes wonder if there is only one developer because nothing is ever done in parallel and everything is done slower than it can possibly be imagined. More than a year to get CSA approvals? Months to work out how to set up an international shop when they had two years to work it out.

4 Likes

Like most people commenting here I was in the original crowdfunding round all those years ago, and it really grinds me up to see new sales being taken BEFORE those who believed in you years ago.

I’m in Australia, and my guess is I wont get my Pro until 2019.

Now I’m seeing I could cancel my order, fly over, buy the Plus and ship it back and have it next month.

6 Likes

Yes, I feel exactly the same. WE BELIEVED in the GF team way before so many people that have been working on their GF for months now. And now I read that the “sorry” gift certificate, I wont be able to use it, for the exact same reason I don have my GF yet. And their only answer is always a “Well, if you want out just let us know” (there’s a lot of people spending their money on us, so you leaving is not a big deal for us).

Yes even the people outside the US that have their machines for months can’t get hold of PG materials. And those in the US can’t rely on them being shipped in a timely fashion, or packaged properly or of consistent quality it seems.

The idea of Glowforge is great but the implementation is farcical.

1 Like

For what it is worth – every order I have placed for PG materials (and I use PG constantly) has been sent out to me in a very timely manner and has been packaged satisfactorily.

Really wished during the crowdfunding phase, there was a ‘clear’ indication that international shipping and such was not sorted and isnt highly focused until 2 years after the campaign. Like why would you give the option of international selection during the purchase when this wasn’t dealt with…

I am now having a trouble deciding whether all this is worth it and reading all the issues of buying PG materials off them is another hassle to deal with…

If I might chime in: my friend got her Emblazer 2 delivered from Australia to Trondheim,Norway in autum 2017 as one of the first European customers. No difference in shipping delays for that particular Laser with regards to Norway/rest of Europe…

3 Likes

with the reduction in price for the basic, would we the ‘backers from 2 years ago’ who bought the basic get a price refund?

I’ve been looking at all the projects that the US GF owners have been making and it’s like a dangling a carrot in front of us International backers.

It pisses me off that they are already having so much fun with their units and here we are still waiting for ours 3 years later.

If it’s taking so long to ship, I would kinda expect free international shipping for us, because 3 years is a VERY VERY LONG TIME.

11 Likes

Well now it became ridiculous for Canadian… My delivery date moved to Sept 1st from July 4th, 1 year more then the expected received when the release was announced. Now I question if I will ever receive it this year. As previously said, it becomes frustrating considering the proximity. Where are the snag in the red tape @dan? I am getting really annoyed. Even more so that if I wanted, I could just make a delivery across the border and be done with it in 2 weeks now… But with all the other issues with it pointed out before.

And to be honest, it is not the wait itself that the most bothering, it’s the friends and colleague to whom I talked about it and now are just joking about me and my vaporware laser cutter.

And I already know I will not be able to enjoy most of the “gift” because of the distance so for most of them, they are well, useless. At this point the shipping cost and still unknown duty cost will totally screw me. So ya, a reduction to the shipping cost instead of the useless store credit for the multiple month of delay would be more then appreciated. More considering that because I am international, the warranty is… shall I say, sub par to not say worst things (less then the minimum legal warranty here).

But since I stuck through it all, and I have been dreaming of it for the past… well 928 days and counting, I will wait, take the snickering and being made fun off, but I shall say, at the beginning, in the middle of it all and now, I expected more. I am disappointed.

3 Likes

100% on the money with this.
Why the $20/month is being talked up when it is useless to Internationals is bizarre

9 Likes

It may be time to get out, and do something with that money while they work out the certification issue.

I bought a cheap laser while I was waiting, I think I sold it for $100 less than I paid for it. It was a pain to use, but I learned a lot.

1 Like

Tell them the GF isn’t vapourware, it’s just smoke and mirrors. The air filter is vapourware.

12 Likes

Credit where credit is due… that was witty

3 Likes