Discussion of the Jan 2019 Update

This is for discussion of the latest update.
https://community.glowforge.com/t/jan-2019-update-latest/34570/2

4 Likes

These constantly missed projections and delays does not help getting referrals. But what makes it worse is these delay announcements come two week prior to breaking them. Everyone mistakes, it is how you recover them is what makes a good customer service.

3 Likes

All cool stuff :slight_smile:
Re: referrals - we are only allowed a maximum of 10 referrals, correct? After that we can not refer anyone else?

1 Like

Congratulations on being selected as ā€œEditorā€™s Choice!ā€ How exciting that must have been for all of you!!

6 Likes

Correct. Although our marketing team loves to reach out to folks whoā€™ve maxed out, and sometimes award extra referrals. Shoot a note to support@ if you find yourself in that situation!

3 Likes

Thank you! It meant a lot more that it came from an editor whoā€™d been living with his personal machine for two yearsā€¦ they come from a position of deep expertise, so it was doubly wonderful to hear their result.

6 Likes

The whole magazine is a must-read for creators who are thinking about adding a new tool to their arsenal - itā€™s packed with reviews of 3D printers, waterjets, and more. You can subscribe, which includes the December issue, here .

Didnā€™t work, let me pay for a subscription, but no December issue accessā€¦

Didnā€™t work, let me pay for a subscription, but no December issue accessā€¦

Pretty sure with the ios app at least it allowed me to purchase back issues before

1 Like

OK great, I am half way there so no hurry yet but I just got my search ranking back so hoping ā€¦ :smiley:

1 Like

It may but thatā€™s

not what was postedā€¦

1 Like

@dan will that switchable fan control be available to all users or just two people who have purchased a Glowforge filter? I have a BOFA and would love to be able to quiet down my set up if possible.

Totally understandable if itā€™s not an across-the-board option for all users, but if that is the case is there a way that it could get granted to people that already own other filters?

1 Like

I believe (although theyā€™re the ultimate authority) that the subscription starts with them mailing you the December issue.

The switch will eventually be enabled in the UI for everyone. (Right now itā€™s turned on for CF owners by hand). I canā€™t speak to whether a third party filter will work better or worse with it enabled.

3 Likes

Iā€™m more than happy to be a guinea pig. :wink:

2 Likes

@dan
I am one of those unfortunate Canadians who are, once again, affected by the delays in getting my Pro unit into the country. Today my delivery date has seen an additional three month delay. This is getting beyond ridiculous and has crossed the boundary to seriously annoying.
I ordered my unit in October of 2015 and, although the delays are the result of Canadian bureaucracy beyond your control, I am looking to Glowforge for a fair compromise.

I would like to suggest that Canadians who purchased the Pro are given the option to switch to the Plus , with a credit for a ā€˜comparableā€™ pre-order discount so we can get on with it!

I know I can have my order delivered to a US address and bring it home across the border as others have done. Will Glowforge guarantee that an over zealous customs agent wonā€™t bar me from bringing this ā€˜non-compliantā€™ device into the country? I think not. Iā€™d rather do this above board all the way.

My incentives for buying the Pro were the higher power, the better cooling and the extended warranty. I can probably do without the passthrough (since alignment still isnā€™t really working as promised) and, at this point, I am willing to forego the advanced cooling just to get my hands on this machine.

Iā€™m not optimistic this proposal will be acceptable but I believe you owe us patient Canadians the courtesy of at least considering it an option.

It is frustrating beyond belief to read about and see all the wonderful things users are capable of accomplishing with their Glowforge and Iā€™m happy the machine is receiving all these accolades. It speaks volumes about what you and your team have been able to accomplish but but having ā€˜chosen wellā€™ it only makes my machineā€™s absence all the more bitter sweet.

2 Likes

Not Dan, but hang on for the Pro if you can. If you got one at the discounted price it is such an incredible value. (And when you get it, youā€™ll be able to use the passthroughā€¦itā€™s not difficult, even without the alignment software yet.) :slightly_smiling_face:

And weā€™re rooting for you guys to get your machines. (Still).

5 Likes

Thanks @Jules. I know everyone is rooting for us to be able to join the party and, as much as the support is appreciated, it doesnā€™t help us get our invitation :wink:
I really donā€™t want to rant or give up on the Pro but this has become so frustrating I just needed to vent a little.
On a side note, and very much off topic, I just want to thank you for your enormous contribution to this forum and the Glowforge community over these years. Your enthusiasm and creativity help those of us who have so far gone without, hang on and wait in hopes that we too can have as much fun as you seem to be having.
In the meantime Iā€™ll just keep reading posts and looking for updates.
Thanks again for chiming in.

9 Likes

Iā€™ll be looking for your first creation. :wink:

1 Like

Really upsetting update for me, personally. Iā€™ve got an email into support with my options. I just hope I get a quick response.

Hey @dan , any word on how the snapmark beta is going? This is the biggest thing in my use case and something Iā€™ve been waiting for to roll out!

Even just a few thoughts on changes the team has been making or the percentage of people getting them would be nice to know!

3 Likes

If youā€™d like to switch to a Plus, weā€™ll credit the full amount you paid towards the price of a Plus, refund the overage (if any), and ship it to you tomorrow. Just email support@glowforge.com if youā€™d like to do that.

6 Likes