Discussion of the Jan 2019 Update

The whole magazine is a must-read for creators who are thinking about adding a new tool to their arsenal - it’s packed with reviews of 3D printers, waterjets, and more. You can subscribe, which includes the December issue, here .

Didn’t work, let me pay for a subscription, but no December issue access…

Didn’t work, let me pay for a subscription, but no December issue access…

Pretty sure with the ios app at least it allowed me to purchase back issues before

1 Like

OK great, I am half way there so no hurry yet but I just got my search ranking back so hoping … :smiley:

1 Like

It may but that’s

not what was posted…

1 Like

@dan will that switchable fan control be available to all users or just two people who have purchased a Glowforge filter? I have a BOFA and would love to be able to quiet down my set up if possible.

Totally understandable if it’s not an across-the-board option for all users, but if that is the case is there a way that it could get granted to people that already own other filters?

1 Like

I believe (although they’re the ultimate authority) that the subscription starts with them mailing you the December issue.

The switch will eventually be enabled in the UI for everyone. (Right now it’s turned on for CF owners by hand). I can’t speak to whether a third party filter will work better or worse with it enabled.

3 Likes

I’m more than happy to be a guinea pig. :wink:

2 Likes

@dan
I am one of those unfortunate Canadians who are, once again, affected by the delays in getting my Pro unit into the country. Today my delivery date has seen an additional three month delay. This is getting beyond ridiculous and has crossed the boundary to seriously annoying.
I ordered my unit in October of 2015 and, although the delays are the result of Canadian bureaucracy beyond your control, I am looking to Glowforge for a fair compromise.

I would like to suggest that Canadians who purchased the Pro are given the option to switch to the Plus , with a credit for a ‘comparable’ pre-order discount so we can get on with it!

I know I can have my order delivered to a US address and bring it home across the border as others have done. Will Glowforge guarantee that an over zealous customs agent won’t bar me from bringing this ‘non-compliant’ device into the country? I think not. I’d rather do this above board all the way.

My incentives for buying the Pro were the higher power, the better cooling and the extended warranty. I can probably do without the passthrough (since alignment still isn’t really working as promised) and, at this point, I am willing to forego the advanced cooling just to get my hands on this machine.

I’m not optimistic this proposal will be acceptable but I believe you owe us patient Canadians the courtesy of at least considering it an option.

It is frustrating beyond belief to read about and see all the wonderful things users are capable of accomplishing with their Glowforge and I’m happy the machine is receiving all these accolades. It speaks volumes about what you and your team have been able to accomplish but but having ‘chosen well’ it only makes my machine’s absence all the more bitter sweet.

2 Likes

Not Dan, but hang on for the Pro if you can. If you got one at the discounted price it is such an incredible value. (And when you get it, you’ll be able to use the passthrough…it’s not difficult, even without the alignment software yet.) :slightly_smiling_face:

And we’re rooting for you guys to get your machines. (Still).

5 Likes

Thanks @Jules. I know everyone is rooting for us to be able to join the party and, as much as the support is appreciated, it doesn’t help us get our invitation :wink:
I really don’t want to rant or give up on the Pro but this has become so frustrating I just needed to vent a little.
On a side note, and very much off topic, I just want to thank you for your enormous contribution to this forum and the Glowforge community over these years. Your enthusiasm and creativity help those of us who have so far gone without, hang on and wait in hopes that we too can have as much fun as you seem to be having.
In the meantime I’ll just keep reading posts and looking for updates.
Thanks again for chiming in.

9 Likes

I’ll be looking for your first creation. :wink:

1 Like

Really upsetting update for me, personally. I’ve got an email into support with my options. I just hope I get a quick response.

Hey @dan , any word on how the snapmark beta is going? This is the biggest thing in my use case and something I’ve been waiting for to roll out!

Even just a few thoughts on changes the team has been making or the percentage of people getting them would be nice to know!

3 Likes

If you’d like to switch to a Plus, we’ll credit the full amount you paid towards the price of a Plus, refund the overage (if any), and ship it to you tomorrow. Just email support@glowforge.com if you’d like to do that.

6 Likes

No news to share at this point, but we’re learning a lot from the beta users who are giving us feedback right now.

1 Like

Not exactly what I had in mind. The result would be that for $500 more I would get a lesser machine, after waiting for over three years.
I sincerely do appreciate the response and the offer @dan but I guess I’ll just hang on until the end of May. I will hope with all my heart that you and the team can somehow convince the Canadian powers that be that grown ups are capable of not blinding/incinerating themselves through a 1/4” slot that is 90 degrees perpendicular to the path of a laser that would be so defocused by the time it escapes that it would likely be less harmful than pinching your fingers in the lid! (Where is the heavy sigh emoji :roll_eyes:)

5 Likes

Amen.

4 Likes

I have been a big defender of production delays during the initial R&D phase, but the air filter slips are pushing even my patience.

It’s been nearly a year since I received my GF (after over a year delay), and now my air filter is scheduled for end of August (from end of March a few weeks ago).

I appreciate that you’ve worked to create an alternative offering, but honestly if it’s taken you 3 years to get this far with an air filter, why should I believe that one you’ve created in 6 months is of any consistent quality? And how it is you’ve managed to design and manufacture an incredibly complicated machine like the GF but an air filter schedule slip adds an additional 6 months? There’s no electronics in here, what on earth is causing these massive slips.

I’m stuck because I have my GF and I love it, and in general I feel you guys have done a decent job communicating on slips and explaining why, but the explanation here is really lacking. It’s a vague “things aren’t as good as we want them”. Your communication quality is slipping.

So this is more of a “I’m annoyed, get your act together” post. And I need to figure out whether I want to switch the filters.

He did say they went to someone else who was already going and I’m assuming they just altered a pre-existing design…though I don’t recall if anyone has said who the partner is.

@dan I have an external fan (https://amzn.to/2W6IBYX) that I use to help the exhaust out the window. Typically I spin that up before I turn on the Glowforge. Will this cause any issues or false positives with the new fan monitoring?