Discussion of the November 2020 Update

“Crazy Eddie Everything Must Go hardware sales.”

I watched these on tv as a kid in New York, for the rest of you who didn’t experience crazy eddie, his prices were insane.

3 Likes

He was insane! Lol

1 Like

Agreed - so much to be thankful for - thanks to all at Glowforge!

1 Like

About the export thing- I just got the notice today that since the premium free trial ended, it says that all the designs will disappear in 30 days if I don’t save them… how do we save them all? I have almost 600 files since I started… can a mass export be built? or is there any way to grandfather in the first backers?

You’re legacy. Ignore the notice. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m excited about all the new things! :slight_smile:

(Except that now with past prints I’ll be able to go back and remember all of those silly mistakes I made, hahaha! I’m just kidding! well not kidding about making the silly mistakes but I don’t care lol ) And the saved settings part of that is awesome!

Great to hear from you again @sawa!

We did.

2 Likes

I’m sure i’m not reading this correctly…does the Glowforge Pro now have the ability to be converted and do pass through or is this just for those with Glowforge Pro Passthrough? The way it reads has me a bit confused…
Thanks!

The Pro’s all have Pro Passthrough, no converting necessary. The Plus and the Basic do not.

2 Likes

Thanks! I do remember that now that you told me:-)

I was reasonably excited about “export” now exporting settings too - so I opened one of my old files, exported it and looked at the resulting SVG. Lo and behold, there’s a couple of lines at the beginning of the file in the following format:

<gf:laserdef class=“s_f1257990e9ae39938600acf3dbe22a50_l0” order=“1” type=“engrave” power=“100” speed=“8500” passes=“1” focal_offset=“3.175” corner=“50” scangap=“3” materialid=“UNKNOWN” settingid=“vector_engrave::HEAT:5715549623418880::MANUAL_SETTING”></gf:laserdef>

So far so good. I already had visions of an inkscape extension which allows me to set the relevant settings in the design software itself. I played around with the settings a bit by hand, reimported into the GF website… and saw “please choose settings” for all the settings that were so helpfully exported.

I assume there’s a reason why importing wasn’t mentioned in the announcement… or am I overlooking something?

I think it wasn’t mentioned because it doesn’t work that way. IMO it would be great if when you loaded the file back in, the settings got automatically applied, but as far as I understand, you have to re-enter them. They are “exported” with the file in the sense that they are listed in a human readable form so you know what to put back in.

Some have speculated that the reason for not doing it automatically is that there are a lot of edge cases that would have to be handled. E.g. what happens if you load the file and put different material in? Maybe Glowforge doesn’t want to take responsibility for any “automatic” setting that isn’t on their Proofgrade material. I don’t think this is a great reason, and it could simply be handled by a confirmation dialog, but I’m not the PM so what do I know.

4 Likes

i’m just waiting for the enterprising coder out there that writes a script that reads an SVG file, pulls the file name and the settings out and adds them as an appended line to an XLS file.

I’m suffering a failure of imagination. What would that be for?

so i could download all of my old jobs and “store” the settings for them. all i’d need to do is add what material they were. it would be easier than manually typing them in.

1 Like

Ah, I get it now. I’m not that organized. :slight_smile:

1 Like

neither am i! i started a spreadsheet early on, but didn’t keep up with it. a script like that would make it easy to quickly add settings to it w/o typing and do it after the fact.

1 Like

You probably don’t need to program anything other than setting up a PowerPivot import once.

After that, as long as the files are in one directory you should just be able to refresh your Excel spreadsheet and update everything

What I don’t quite get then is why the exported settings are obviously in GF-internal measurements… “Speed=8500, scangap=3”? I already hear the chorus of “But… My speed doesn’t go that high!”. And “Power=100” doesn’t mean the same as in the interface - it means “Full” in this case. If there’s no import mechanism, most people would have an easier time noting down the settings by hand. By the way, these settings have been present in the SVG that is cached locally for at least two years give or take - I’ve checked with one I saved from way before when export was not yet officially possible and when mentioning how to do this was a bannable offense on these forums…

1 Like

if it could even read the SVG (i don’t think it can), how would excel know what to pull out of the SVG file? there has to be an intermediate step where the data becomes recognizable to XLS.