Display alignment off

The visual alignment versus what is engraved is way off. I updated Adobe Illustrator to Adobe Max. Saved the file as normal to a SVG. Uploaded it on the “fast” servers and when it engraved the images are shown 1/4” shifted to the right. Cleaned the lens. Re made the file, same deal. The engraving appears to be centered, but it is unnerving as I have no confidence that the image will be centered. What’s with this?

You can try re calibrating the camera

2 Likes

1/4" is within the tech specs that Glowforge states on their home page as being acceptable for the camera alignment. That being said, most users get much better results than that. Run the lid camera calibration and always use the set focus tool before placing your artwork. Also, if it has to be perfect, make a jig.

3 Likes

After you run the calibration if it’s still not lining up you’re going to want to read up on Set Focus - and material heights. Likely the measuring laser is missing the edge of your piece.

You must always set focus before you place the art. This is a common mistake and the thicker the material the farther away your artwork will shift if you do it backwards.
Also, make sure the red laser dot lands squarely on the surface of your material and not off the edge or into a previous cut out.

1 Like

I see that the community has provided some good advice on the next best steps running the alignment @primal_healer said would be a good step to take. I’ll keep this thread open a little longer, and see if any of those steps helped. Let us know how it goes!

1 Like

What’s odd is that I’m using a jig. I cut out a shape and then plug it with the same shape, but twice the height. Usually, it maps fine in the center of the bed. But now it is off by 1/4” to the right, but engraves on the money. Just odd. And annoying. Which is becoming what I expect from this machine. I never used the focus piece. Not even sure if I have it or how if I do as I bought this used.

Hi @jl1,

The Set Focus feature is available on all Glowforge units. There are directions for how to use it on the page @primal_healer linked above. Go ahead and give it a try and let us know how it goes.

I have used the set focus feature. Each use.
The engraving is aligned, but the view on the screen is not.
Not sure where the disconnect is, but it was fine until I exported from the latest Adobe Max.

Adobe Max is an annual conference, not an app. You likely updated Illustrator to version 25, which was just released. It seems pretty unlikely to me that any of the updates to illustrator would cause your GF preview image to be off, especially since you say the engrave itself is on point.
Which leads me to wonder if the autofocus point is hitting the jig instead of the workpiece.
After you hit the “set focus” button, run over to the GF and watch: the head will move over to the spot you clicked, and then it will momentarily shine a red laser downwards. Make sure that the red laser is hitting the workpiece, and not the jig or anything else.

2 Likes

@jl1 I’d like to have you run a test for us. Could you please load the Gift of Good Measure print and post a screenshot of what you’re seeing in the app? Then print the design and let us know when its done.

We’ll review the logs for the print when its done. This will help us to compare what you’re seeing on the screen vs what alignment on the finished print looks like.

Once we have that information we’ll be able to follow up with next steps. Thank you!

I’ll get on this tomorrow.
Thanks

The change in height is the problem, I think. The image correction will be different different for a 1/8" thickness than a 1/4" thickness.

Hi @jl1, it’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread from you so I’m going to go ahead and close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.