Dissatisfied with camera offset, glowforge offering to repair, but is my offset really that unusual?

As others have said, I’d expect that simply removing the sticker and rebooting should get you back to factory specs.

I have doubts that they are still collecting calibration data from units in the field. Dan has said how much data they capture at the factory, and how that data is what makes Snapmarks even possible.

If we can mess up our calibration with a trick like this even after the sticker is gone, the company should be shamed for trusting unsanitized data from the camera and using it as the basis of a permanent modification.

Now, I would really like to see what happens with the sticker plus Snapmarks… Snapmarks use the head camera too, right? So you could get a conflict between hack’s effect on the overview, and the detail view.

This is a righteous hack and I look forward to see what develops. I wish I had thought of it.

Though, I almost put googly eyes on the head, does that get me any points?

1 Like

i have no doubt they’re collecting the data. that’s why when you tell them what date/time your issue happened, they can go back and look at machine logs to try and tell you what went wrong. what they’re doing with all that data, i can’t say. not sure if they’re using it to recalibrate in the future. but they definitely are collecting.

I’m not saying they are not always watching. But I would be surprised if they said, ok, we’re going to use what we know about @shop’s machine from the last month to make a permanent change to it! That could go wrong so many ways. Even if you were forever sticker-free, just moving the machine to a new table skews things.

But who knows? It’s a black box in a black box.

But they’re doing exactly that with the software on a macro scale. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were able to read what’s going on in situ and make individual machines more accurate. Are they? You’re right, we can’t know unless they tell us. But I’m pretty sure they have made individual machine adjustments when problems occur.

3 Likes

They’d be applying a correction to bad (altered) data. I really have no idea how this would affect your machine going forward. It’s under warranty. The only thing you gain by doing this is ~2 weeks of use. If it was mine (and it was… I’m on unit #4) I’d send it back. SO glad I did rather than toying around with things.

Our team’s assessment of your unit based on the details of your report supports the recommendation of warranty repair or replacement. We’re already working with you via email on that, so I’m going to close this topic.

1 Like