DnD Dice Trays

Started making little DND dice trays, designing the patterns and doing inlay. A lot of fun, although now I’m a bit obsessed :slight_smile: I I was going to try staining the birch inlay but the flash/smoke stain gives it a beautiful effect, combined with the silvery look of the birch.

45 Likes

Beautiful! I see why you’re obsessed

3 Likes

Beautifully made. It is nice that you paid so much attention to detail in that the wood grain all goes the same direction.

8 Likes

DnD dice trays will lead to beautifully inlaid serving trays which sparks an idea for inlaid valet trays and so it goes. Really nice work.

3 Likes

Nice work!

6 Likes

This is beautiful! I haven’t the guts to attempt inlay yet, but I love the result! Any tips?

3 Likes

Those look incredible. I have only tried inlays-worked out pretty good just haven’t had the time to get back to it…this may make me find the time:-) Great job!

3 Likes

First and foremost, this site for ‘inlay’ search is amazing and got me started. Incredible resources by great people, with examples and instructions. I made these designs using an app called Amaziograph, free handing them. Then opened them in Inkscape and did a Trace, and added the outer circles and rims. I increased the size of the pieces by 0.015 to get them a little closer to the size of the holes, but if I wanted to get them to truly snap into place I would have had to go bigger. Kerf is a PITA, lol. If you want more info I’m happy to DM. :slight_smile: Be bold and go for it!!

2 Likes

What pretty designs! Love the colors.

2 Likes

Really gorgeous!

5 Likes

Thanks. Bookmarking this for future reference.

1 Like

Good to see you here again. :slightly_smiling_face: Our official hall monitor @arh2 and I were hoping you were doing well…haven’t seen you in quite a while. Could have sworn I sent you a PM, but couldn’t find it anywhere. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

I’m above ground and hanging in there! My neck/back issues have kept me off the GF and computer, but things are calming down so hope to get caught up with everyone before too long. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Terrific work! Colors are great!

3 Likes

Beautiful! I’m in love with the second one.

3 Likes

That’s my favorite too! I love the colors.

3 Likes

Beautiful work! cant wait to show you my version.

2 Likes

Oh that first one :open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth:
Did you stain the wood for the colorful ones, or are they the fancy pre-colored ply? Man, aligning the wood grain in the design really makes them pop!

4 Likes

Those look great. Almost makes me want to learn DandD. Do they have a single shooter mode?

3 Likes

They’re precolored ply, ZWoodNLaser on Etsy sells a bunch of cool colors at decent prices :slight_smile:

1 Like