Do AutoCAD work with GF

I don’t have a bunch of DXF files kicking around to test it, but maybe someone can try these two web services and provide feedback…

https://convertio.co/dxf-svg/
http://www.dxfconverter.org/

2 Likes

thank you for recomendation
But what is “mm”?

A millimeter

Not trying to be snarky…

1 Like

thanks)))
I thought about that kind of plug-in or software
)))))

1 Like

There is a setting when you open a DXF that says method of scaling. Check read from file. Make sure your units in Autocad are set to inches. I have not had any problems. I just reset the document size in Inkscape to 19.4" x 10.4".
Also make sure the DXF drawing is close to 0,0 in the WCS.

thanks for the advice

1 Like

About mm -> Had this given to me awhile back. Confuses as much as it helps…

In metric, one milliliter of water occupies one cubic centimeter, weighs one gram, and requires one calorie of energy to heat up by one degree centigrade. Which is also 1 percent of the difference between freezing and boiling points. An amount of hydrogen weighing the same amount has exactly one mole of atoms in it.

If asked in America, “How much energy does it take to boil a room temperature gallon of water?” the answer is ‘Piss Off’, since you cannot directly relate any of those quantities.

At least America does not screw you up as bad as United Kingdom though. Sugar is by pound, meat by kilo, and body weight in stones.
Water and drinks by liter, milk by pint, and beer by liter or pint, depending on if buying a draught or bottle. Cups are used to Hold the tea, not measure it.
Cable measured in meters, our body in feet/inches. Fuel in liter but fuel economy in miles per gallon.
Rainfall in milliliters and wind in miles per hour.
Being Civilized is a mess…

7 Likes

So in Europe do you have stoves with dials calibrated in calories so you can set your 1 liter pot of water on the stove and set it for 80,000 calories/min and it’ll boil in a minute? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This is what my Inkscape shows when I open…

And the Help tab:

Which specifically states to assume the drawing is in mm.

Unless you are talking about AI, and then I wouldn’t know.

1 Like

Yes, Inkscape always assumes mm. This has been a bit of a pita but if you remember it running things from cad and 3d modeling works great.

1 Like

Interesting. Mine is different. When I get home tonight I will get a screen shot and Version number

So in Europe do you have stoves with dials calibrated in calories so you can set your 1 liter pot of water on the stove and set it for 80,000 calories/min and it’ll boil in a minute? :slight_smile:

No but we have electric kettles rated in kW, so we can easily calculate how fast it will boil 1L of water.

I saw one advertised that claimed you could get a cup of hot water in 3s. I worked out that was impossible with a 13A plug by about a factor of 10 unless it stored up energy. I bought one to see how it worked. Water starts flowing at coffee temperature after 3 seconds but it takes 30s to fill a cup.

1 Like

First of all, Americans don’t use the expression “piss off” to mean “go away”.

Secondly, one pint of water weighs one pound and requires one BTU of energy to heat up by one degree Fahrenheit. This should not be taken as an endorsement of the Imperial system.

8 Likes

Just to add my bit to the confusion, mm is also ‘mommes’, (pronounced moe-mees) a measure of the ‘density’ of silk fabric, and is the weight in pounds of a piece of fabric 45" wide and a 100 yards long.
#:upside_down_face:#
I used to make silk fans. Perhaps I will again !

8 Likes

My attempt to add some (mm) humor to this issue was off topic and just ran it off the rails. Sorry, and I will keep it tighter moving forward.

In that spirit, I have had CAD experience with the 3D printer and my Wife with her Silhouette files, which also need to be SVG (mostly). It has not been a problem saving files to SVG and the program she uses has the ability to manipulate the file on the finished project if it does not seem to be cutting as expected.

2 Likes

My Silhouette is also able to use DXF, the non-proprietary version of DWG, “save as” from ACAD.
The :glowforge: says it is compatible with JPG, PNG, SVG, PDF, and other file formats.
Does any one know what the other formats are?
JPG and PNG, I would assume only for raster image engraves.
SVG only for vector cuts and scores, or does it allow for raster images?.
PDF for both/either?
Is DXF one of the other file formats?

1 Like

LMAO! There’s probably a rule here that all threads must diverge from the initial post within 20 posts or something like that. Conversations wander on & off topic pretty regularly. :grinning:

What that means though is that the essential value of a thread is found in the first couple of dozen posts. But the nuggets of cool learnings here usually end up in the bottom third or quarter of the posts in a thread.

7 Likes

Here is my Inkscape DXF open screen.

I am using Inkscape 0.92.1 r15371 Opens DXF files in inches no problem.

The problem has not been getting them to open, the problem is scale.