Dog bone with 4 layers

I did some scratches on the wood and use Loctite super glue.

3 Likes

Adorable … right down to the perfect ribbon!

5 Likes

Similar in concept to what I did a couple of years ago for Valentine’s Day. :slight_smile:

Mine is made from 5 stacked layers. 3 wood, 2 acrylic + wood. For the layers with the acrylic, the acrylic is cut slightly smaller than the outline of the heart, and a wood piece with a bigger cutout that the acrylic fits in to fits around it. So that you don’t see the acrylic layers from the outside.

Wastes a lot of wood. But looks great.

Yeah, to stick it all together, Cyanoacrylate works just fine if you sand the mating surfaces down to remove the glossy coat they’re covered with. Cyanoacrylate will not stick to the sealed surface of Proofgrade wood. And you also want to be careful with how much CA you apply, since it will fog the acrylic if you apply too much. With my setup, the acrylic isn’t actually glued, it’s captured by the wood pieces. So I didn’t need to get any glue near the plastic.

Little known fact - Cyanoacrylate was invented as an adhesive to use on plastic gunsights for US aircraft during WWII, but it was rejected because it was too sticky. Then, a decade later it was independently reinvented in a search for adhesives to glue plastic bubble canopies for jet aircraft. It was rejected for this purpose because it fogged the plastic. But they realized it glued a lot of other stuff just fine and it started getting sold as a general purpose adhesive and now we use it for everything (except acrylic).

14 Likes

These are both beautiful. I love the little ‘charms’ in the dogbones. Fantastic first design!!

4 Likes

Nice work! :clap:

2 Likes

Wow looks like the wood is one pice and it is like a frame! So pretty!! Your design is way more complicated

1 Like

You could easily duplicate my “technique” with the dog bones.

I thought it was pretty funny that in concept, we both came up with the same idea. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Beautiful! Love the layered concept. Wait…no bite marks?

3 Likes

Very nice, I love the little bones and the paw print floating inside. Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

So cute! @gre.arabadzhiev And you can use the cut out paw pads for another project!
I like your technique too @randy.cohen

4 Likes

Welcome to the community. I think you did a great job!

2 Likes

Welcome! You have every right to be happy about this, and I would be too! That you’re new to GF and Inkscape makes it even more impressive. Thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I love this!!

3 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

Oh, why I don’t think about that?! :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Really nice design, I can see why they are popular, the little charms are lovely!

2 Likes

This is lovely!

SVGs can be found here.

1 Like

Very generous share, thank you!

1 Like

Awww, very cute!

1 Like