Doormat for my birthday party

I’d put this in Made on a Glowforge, but it’s too big for my GF (it’s 30x18), so i engraved it on the universal at my office. And, even if it had fit in the GF, i’m glad i did this at work. It was 1hr 20m on the universal, so i’m sure this would have taken closer to 3hrs on the GF if it had a bed this big.

38 Likes

Yikes! I bet it could start a fire too?
Happy birthday, at any rate, whenever it is :tada: :partying_face: :champagne:

10 Likes

thanks (next thursday).

and no, it really didn’t feel too bad as far as fire risk. i watched it fairly closely to start, and casually after a while. coir seems to engrave pretty well, didn’t see any flaring at all or even that much in the way of fumes.

17 Likes

That’s cool. We got a new (bigger) laser at the makerspace and this is on my list. I’m interested to see how long the design holds up.

10 Likes

thankfully this just needs to hold up for one whole day :). But i plan on spraying a fixative of some sort on it, just in case.

10 Likes

Love this, and happy induction into your 60s! Made me laugh and I hope your Fest is amazing :heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat:

11 Likes

thanks! i have 9 days left in my 50s, then it’s on to the next decade!

12 Likes

If it was my mat, I’d just put my face on it, as just about everyone already walks all over me… :rofl:

11 Likes

I also turn 60 on April 28th. :slight_smile:

Old Duffers Assemble!

12 Likes

we’re off by a day, i’m 4/27. but dayam, what a coincidence. if you were in the DC area, i’d invite you to my party so we could celebrate the milestone together.

11 Likes

Hellloooo Daddy!!!

The mat looks great but you My Sweet —- are very sexy with that silver hair.

6 Likes

AWESOME! If you had done it on the GF, what settings would you use?

1 Like

hah. absolutely no idea. i’d probably do the same thing i did on the universal. flip it over on the back and do a mini test block until i got it right.

on the universal, i started with cork settings and dialed it up from there.

6 Likes

Nice doormat and happy birthday!

2 Likes

i thought i’d update with a few other things i made for the party. these, however, were made on the GF, not the universal.

I stamped 100+ paper coasters to have around for everyone.

then i made about 15 of them in wood to share with the musicians who were up on stage playing with me.

And I made this pickguard to go on my guitar just for the day.

and in action…

16 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.