Dried up lid?

As I closed my lid today, the front “lip” (the chrome bit that you use to raise and lower the lid) just fell off of the glass!!!

Wires all still attached, so I didn’t pull on it or anything, but I could see that it looks like it might just be glued on in the first place and the glue dried up? If so, I guess I’ll have to glue it back on? But is there a “correct” glue to use?

For now, I just used some masking tape to keep it in place. But that’s just enough to get me by for this job. Really need to get that fixed in place.

Ideas?!

I don’t think anyone has found the one glue. Most seem to use either E6000 or epoxy.

6 Likes

Hi Tom! Long time no see.
I would be comfortable with any catalytic epoxy, clean the surfaces well, and whichever surface the glue didn’t stick to, rough it up with a few strokes of sandpaper to give it better tooth.

4 Likes

Hi Tom…hope all (besides the lid thing) is going well for you and yours.

Until you get it fixed, at least you can slide stuff in through the front door. Hope you get it fixed, though.

1 Like

So… Not just me, eh? I think I’ve some E6000 in a package somewhere… Thanks!

Yeah, man! Thanks for the advice!

Hi! Things are okay, thanks! Hope the same for you and yours!

5 Likes

@Tom_A

I’m sorry your Glowforge lid came apart.

While most modifications void the warranty, I can give you permission to glue it back together yourself. It’s not a repair we support, so I don’t have any specific advice.

If you’d prefer that we replace your unit, we are happy to do that.

If you can recommend the appropriate glue…

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

Tom

<br />

<br />

-------- Original message --------
Date: 11/18/21  14:02  (GMT-05:00) 
To: Tom Alessi &lt;thomas.alessi.jr@gmail.com&gt; 
Subject: RE: [Forum] Dried up lid? 

<br />

My name is Mercedes and I’m part of the Technical team here at Glowforge.

Unfortunately, I am unable to offer any suggestions for glue. I would be happy to move this to Beyond the Manual where you could get some additional support!

Or you could I could create an email ticket for you and give you a repair cost quote! Let me know what you would like to do.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.