Duplicate carvings in glowforge

Have you tried selecting all and ungrouping before deleting anything?

1 Like

I think the whole tracing bitmaps is a quagmire for beginners - and I am still a beginner so I am bowing out of this discussion. Once the bitmap is traced, then you have the whole clipping path thing to work past. This is why I use the premium subscription images and keep it simple.

well for the tracing Iā€™ve found silhouette way way easy with sliders just way easy to use but for alot of stuff it just doesnā€™t have the functions . (this from a new guy) but thats what ā€™ Iā€™ve found so far anyway on that front.

thats what it was somehow i ā€œthinkā€ I had worked on one small part of the tail feather several times and instead of working on that small part it must have duplicated the entire bird first then made a new layer then I flattened the layers at some point working on other stuff and it kept each layer so I went back in to the layers and ungrouped and deleted the layers that had the extra birds.

Good lord I want to thank everyone for there help ready to throw this one out the window lol

2 Likes

The way we learn is to make misteaksā€¦

In Inkscape, I often repeat a process and try different approaches. You can just hit āŒ˜Z to back up.

Another thing I do often is make multiple copies on a worksheet, try one thing, but keeping others. When I am finally satisfied, I will copy just what I want into a new document.

Thereā€™s rarely one ā€œbestā€ way to crack a nut. Iā€™ve taught classes and thatā€™s one of the first lessons, donā€™t expect to be taught ā€œtheā€ way but rather one of many.

4 Likes

This is exactly what I do; I have a master image on my workspace, and then make a copy to edit. When Iā€™m happy with that and I want to make another large edit, I make another copy. When I get an edit I like, I delete the previous copies and narrow them down until Iā€™m happy with the last one. I do it this way because Iā€™m a visual person and it helps me to see all the different iterations on one page.

2 Likes

(ā€¦ and I paste my final version into a new, blank document, because Inkscape tends to leave a lot of artifacts/junk inside the ā€œworkingā€ file, even if they donā€™t necessarily show up on the screenā€¦)

1 Like

Yep, I make sure I have a final clean version too, but luckily Corel seems pretty good at not leaving extra junk floating around.

1 Like

Hey @allen-deckard, it looks like our amazing community members were able to help you figure out the cause of the trouble, Iā€™m glad to hear it. Thank you everyone!

Since the issue looks to be resolved now, Iā€™m going to go ahead and close this thread. If you still need help with this issue or anything else please start a new thread or email us at support@glowforge.com. Weā€™re happy to help!