Duraforge is online!

These are all wonderful…every one of them. And I like that they’re different materials and techniques. Glad to hear about your first days with your Glowforge!

2 Likes

Very nice! That smile on your aspiring paleontologist speaks volumes!

1 Like

Next set testing. Maple proofgrade, sizing and engrave settings. Small ones are the size of a quarter.

3D engrave on an ornament. Graphic engrave, Dark Graphic engrave (fit between other cuts, oh well).

9 Likes

I LOVE Abney Park! We perform several of their pieces (in our own style of course) in my Pirate Folk band.

2 Likes

That’s awesome!

I have an unnatural love for steampunk and (several genres) of pirate music.

Portland luckily gets several different groups (e.g., Oddwood) that come here to play and Abney Park plays in the area pretty frequently as they are reasonably local in Washington.

I’ve been working on their other logo, but need to adjust the contrast more likely as it is pretty dark and I’ve not been happy with the way it comes out yet. This is probably the best so far out of several I’ve experimented with.

Patch is on the right for scale and to show what it should look like. I unfortunately damaged some of the fine details removing the protective paper.

8 Likes

Testing engraving on anodized aluminum. I feel this is probably the most likely to result in some side money for custom engraving on firearms parts.

Did one test engrave first on a similar material at 800xfullx340dpi worked beautifully so I went for the big test.

I did no cleanup on the vector at all.

For alignment I drop in a circle.svg I made and do a cut at 1000x1% which will just barely score the tape, I then ignore and align my image to the cut line vs. the circle image. I’ve also been marking thickness (0.04) with pencil on any non-proofgrade material, makes it easy to set in GFUI without trying to remember the number.

Uploading…

12 Likes

This was going to be a part of my business plan when I first saw the glowforge, but there some very important laws that you have to follow.

4 Likes

Cool engrave! :smile:

1 Like

Your comment to @duraine is spot on. Until you try to make money at something you have no idea how long the regulation (shall + shall not) list can become.
Lots of things you can do for personal usage become illegal as soon as you put a price tag on it.

2 Likes

Huh. I would not have expected that. Customizing from the mechanical side I would have expected. But purely decorative engraving is a surprise.

1 Like

As I understand what I was told by the gunsmith in my complex; If you were going to take possession of someone else’s firearm, you would need to have an FFL… but a barrel or a stock by itself is not a firearm, as long as there is no action attached.

2 Likes

I appreciate the concern, very easy to get in trouble with the various regulations. I am aware of the laws regarding that, this was for personal use.

I was mostly thinking of engraving parts (dust cover, grips, mags, etc…) just to avoid the whole FFL aspect. Anything other than the receiver “i.e., the legally a firearm part” should be safe as it is just a part.

2 Likes

Finally got this logo where I want.
Material is inventables brushed aluminum 2 color acrylic laserable. I really like the look of this material.
Took some time to dial in the settings with this material and had to adjust the logo image a lot.

14 Likes

Several iterations, dialing in the settings I want on some misc. stuff.
Proofgrade maple or maple plywood.

24 Likes

Wow, that’s an amazing Vegvisir design. Love everything about them! :smiley:

1 Like

Well…

I guess I will be engraving my Receiver BEFORE I assemble my AR.

that is too cool.

1 Like

Love the tree yin-yang ones…

1 Like

The lower will fit after assembly no problem, unless you have a really large stock on it.

Mine was done after assembly.

From a deviant art image I found and liked, dumped it into Photoshop->Illustrator to clean it up and did Live Trace->Live Paint while playing with the settings.

Not my artwork, but I’m not selling these so I’m not worried about it.

Remixed from a CNC image with the celtic knot border added and cut lines for a pendant.
5pt

2 Likes