Dust?

I have yet to set-up my Glowforge. I want to put it in my bedroom office space but my husband is concerned about dust. I have the Glowforge Air Filter. Can anyone give advice on whether or not to expect problems with dust?

Thank you in advance!

1 Like

As long as you’re properly venting or using the filter, you won’t have any issues with dust, at all. The only possible source for dust would be from the materials as you handle them while placing in the Glowforge.

4 Likes

if you can vent, vent. Filters fill up and need to be replaced and that becomes more costly than you may want. How often will depend on the material you are cutting.

5 Likes

Additionally, in regards to Glowforge filter performance and filter replacements required because the filter has filled with particles from the material you’re processing, fibrous materials do cause the filter to fill at an advanced rate. This can’t be avoided, but the collective impact to the filter cartridge can be lessened by the addition of pre-filters to your Glowforge filter. The filter material is cut to fit the top of the filter cartridge then used to collect the larger particles before the collect in the filter cartridge, causing it to fill and require replacement.

I use two or three layers of filter material, depending on the material, two layers for acrylic and solid wood, three layers for MDF and cardboard. I replace the filters after one or two hours of use, then wash them by hand and hang them to dry. I have a dozen of so pieces of pre-filter material so that I can keep going all day using fresh pre-filters and saving myself the expense of replacing the filter cartridge. I’ve been using the same cartridge for almost a year now, a couple of hours each day, without having to replace it. I even purchased a replacement cartridge a couple of months ago, in preparation for the eventual need, but that is yet to come.

3 Likes

Seconded. Filters are a distant second place to venting outside.

5 Likes

And it’s not about dust. It’s about smell. The GF works by burning stuff. Vented or Filtered doesn’t make a difference to what’s captured inside the machine. And that’s the nasty stink smell of burned stuff. The machine is not hermetically sealed. When you’re not using it, it’s going to “outgas”. A bedroom is probably not an optimal location. It’s likely to lead to some stress in your relationship. I wouldn’t do it.

4 Likes

You won’t get dust from the Glowforge.

1 Like

There are definitely some materials that throw a lot of solids. Stamp rubber was the worst offender for me, it absolutely would throw a ton of particles.

Of course as @yoyodyne2112 said, if your ventilation is setup properly those particles won’t get flung around your workspace… but it’s definitely possible to have “dust” from heavy engraves end up in your workspace if you have a poor vent hookup.

3 Likes

Yep, no dust but some smell. I’m one of the unusual ones that actually likes that smell… my husband does NOT! :roll_eyes: